Author Topic: MBS Podcast Episode 52  (Read 881 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Podcast Episode 52
« on: May 02, 2021, 05:17:18 pm »

https://manbattlestations.libsyn.com/episode-52

Greg and Andy are back with another episode packed full of naval gaming goodness! First up, Andy interviews Claude and Marcus, two History Professors at the US Naval Academy who have started a wargaming initiative to instruct Midshipmen. Next up, Greg and Andy are joined by...another Andy! Andy B. joins our hosts all the way from Texas to review the new hotness from Osprey Games, A Billion Suns!

USNA Interview: 28 Min

A Billion Suns Review: 1 Hr 11 Min

Links Discussed in the Show:

https://www.usna.edu/NewsCenter/2020/08/USNA_MUSEUM,_HISTORY_DEPARTMENT_ESTABLISH_NAVAL_HISTORY_WARGAMING_LABORATORY.php

https://www.usna.edu/Museum/NavyCon.php

http://abillionsuns.space/

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Podcast Episode 52
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32:14 am »
The interview with the War College folks was great!  As a semi-Pro wargame designer myself, I would love to go through a program like that!  I know the Naval War College had a great tradition of wargaming and it was interesting to hear about the Rand Corporation, CIA, and other think-tank involvement in the Wargaming community.  I would love to play one of those old Gymnasium floor games with their collection of models! 

I have dabbled in trying to create a lighter "Modern" naval game, but have run into many challenges and not gotten too many great results so far.  The closest "success" I morphed into a gothic, sci-fi naval game instead.  I should try out Rory Crabb's rules to see how he overcomes some of the challenges.  I played Harpoon, but that was NOT what I wanted at all.     

On a different approach, I have been thinking really hard about how to implement Wargaming into my corporate career.  Hearing them talk about it in an actual warfighting perspective gave me pause to think about how to build it in a corporate culture.  I designed a team-play Horse and Musket game specifically for corporate usage that emphasized communication, but want to make something much more corporate focused too.  Going through a program like the one they discussed would be eye opening.   

I recall when I was in College, I took two classes on Naval Warfare history through the ROTC program, even though I was not part of the program.  It was interesting as I had a completely different perspective than everyone else in the class as I was the only one who was NOT a member of the US Navy or Naval Reserves.  The Commander teaching the class was completely baffled why I had any interest in the subject.   

Great interview.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 08:17:36 pm »
The interview with the War College folks was great!  As a semi-Pro wargame designer myself, I would love to go through a program like that!  I know the Naval War College had a great tradition of wargaming and it was interesting to hear about the Rand Corporation, CIA, and other think-tank involvement in the Wargaming community.  I would love to play one of those old Gymnasium floor games with their collection of models! 

I have dabbled in trying to create a lighter "Modern" naval game, but have run into many challenges and not gotten too many great results so far.  The closest "success" I morphed into a gothic, sci-fi naval game instead.  I should try out Rory Crabb's rules to see how he overcomes some of the challenges.  I played Harpoon, but that was NOT what I wanted at all.     

On a different approach, I have been thinking really hard about how to implement Wargaming into my corporate career.  Hearing them talk about it in an actual warfighting perspective gave me pause to think about how to build it in a corporate culture.  I designed a team-play Horse and Musket game specifically for corporate usage that emphasized communication, but want to make something much more corporate focused too.  Going through a program like the one they discussed would be eye opening.   

I recall when I was in College, I took two classes on Naval Warfare history through the ROTC program, even though I was not part of the program.  It was interesting as I had a completely different perspective than everyone else in the class as I was the only one who was NOT a member of the US Navy or Naval Reserves.  The Commander teaching the class was completely baffled why I had any interest in the subject.   

Great interview.

Glad you enjoyed it! They were profs at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, not the War College in Newport ;)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 11:04:11 am »
Woops.  Silly civie mistake.   ;D
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 06:12:18 pm »
Good show!  Looking forward to see what you all come up with for the objectives / stations on A Billion Suns.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:25 pm »

Truly enjoyed the War College interview.

Feeling a bit teased with "A Billion Suns" as the book hasn't reached my far-flung shore yet, but it sounds very good indeed.