Author Topic: The Painting Year in Review--2016  (Read 1940 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
The Painting Year in Review--2016
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:14:37 pm »
OK fellow naval wargamers, it's that time of the year again. Let's see what you painted in 2016!

Before December 31st, post a few "group shots" in this thread of all the naval wargaming miniatures you completed this year. No matter if you painted a single model or an entire fleet, we want to see your work! You can mash them all together in one big group, naval ships with space ships, or break them up into fleets or genres--whatever works best for you. Feel free to tell us a little bit about what you painted. Also, post a shot of the one model (or squadron of models) that you're most proud of that you completed this year and tell us why it's your favorite. Tell us if you completed any of your 2016 painting resolutions--and let us know what your painting resolutions are for 2017!

Nothing to win here except bragging rights and the envy of your fellow naval wargamers. I know we have a talented pool of painters here at MBS, so let's see what you've done!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: The Painting Year in Review--2016
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:00:51 pm »
I'll get this started off. I doubt I'll get anything else painted this year that has a naval flavor, there are other projects to get finished.
This was a fantastic year for my painting work. Not only with the amount that I've painted in general but also the amount of projects that I've finished.
As far as painting plans for next year...I have to get my French finished. However, my one big plan is to paint everything immediately after I get it. No more playing with unpainted models.
I'll just get to the pictures. You'll notice that I completed mostly Dystopian Wars, hardly any Firestorm Armada, but some good work on a little Halo. But I've finished my Ottomans, my Russians, and my UNSC.

hypnotini

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »
so jealous of that ottomon

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:11:46 am »
That's an impressive array of painting accomplishments for the year! I have to admit, I don't have a lot of ships to show. Most of my painting efforts in 2016 went towards non-naval models  ???

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:47 am »
@Quickdraw: that is quite an impressive tally.

Ok, so here is my final count for 2016:

Didn't get as much done this year as I thought I did, and apparently I painted more Halo: Fleet Battles than anything else. I only got one DW squadron done! (actually, I also painted the DW demo set, but those weren't my models)

My favorite models from this year are the Covenant RCS Armored Cruisers:

Just something about the detail on the hull. Spartan did a great job on those models.

My painting goals for 2017: well, it would be easy to say "I want to paint my entire X fleet" or "I want to paint all the models I have for X game". For me, those aren't realistic goals, and let's face it I have enough FSA models to keep me busy all year. So here's what I'm aiming for in 2017:

-I would like to play with as many painted models as possible;

-I would like to start building my terrain stockpile, for ALL the games that I play; and

-there are four models that I really would like to finish this year: the CF dreadnaught, the RoF Vauban-class skimmer dreadnaught, the RSN dreadnaught, and the Triton-class Novastar. I can't even field the RoF or RSN dreadnaughts, as they are in pieces, and I can't put them together until I paint them (and in case of the RSN dreadnaught, do some sanding to make all the pieces fit correctly).

So...thanks for looking, and bring on 2017!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama