Author Topic: USS Discovery  (Read 1860 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
USS Discovery
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:20:09 am »
http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-u-s-s-discovery

Also, GO SEE STAR TREK BEYOND ! - Most Excellent!
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: USS Discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:56:53 am »
New fan theory:

The Discovery works for Section 31!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75805

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »
The Discovery almost looks like she has some Klingon blood in her...I didn't read the second article yet.

+1 for Star Trek: Beyond. Very entertaining, and I thought it was better than the last two. Never thought Beastie Boys music could be worked into a Trek movie, but they did a pretty good job using it in this one.

Really tragic about Anton Yelchin. I couldn't help thinking about that every time I saw him on screen.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:58:40 pm »
Never thought Beastie Boys music could be worked into a Trek movie, but they did a pretty good job using it in this one.

For those who might complain exactly how that use worked; I have a full explanation, by analogy with the Neal Stephenson novel SEVENEVES.

Queue Spoiler Space
[spoiler]I don't think the swarm was blowing up per se, so much as colliding fatally within the swarm. In SEVENEVES, they have a cloud swarm formation like that for avoiding bolide (asteroid) strikes, and its all run by one coordinated program. Disrupt that, and disaster! [/spoiler]

Really tragic about Anton Yelchin. I couldn't help thinking about that every time I saw him on screen.
Ditto

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »
Not sure about the Section 31 thing, but hey, that could be cool. TBH, I'm not enough of a Trekkie to get too wrapped around the axle about what the new show will/won't be, but I'll definitely give it a try because there Just Isn't Enough Damn Sci-Fi on TV These Days.  :)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:07:18 am »
Just Isn't Enough Damn Sci-Fi on TV These Days.  :)

Preach it!

EXPANSE Season 2 trailer is out BTW!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
I like the ship design! Very different, and obviously based on a study model for a potential Star Trek revival in the 1970s that never went anywhere:

The Art of Star Trek has photos of two wedge-shaped prototypes purportedly built by Ralph McQuarrie for Star Trek Phase II back in 1977. More precisely, however, McQuarrie already designed these two vessels for a scrapped Trek movie called "Planet of the Titans" to be shot in England. When the production of Phase II was launched under Roddenberry's auspices some time later, he (fortunately!) hired Matt Jefferies and later Andrew Probert to further develop Jefferies' original design of the Enterprise. The McQuarrie designs may have never been seriously considered. The book states that the two McQuarrie models were among the ship wrecks at Wolf 359 though.

I still need to see Star Trek Beyond!!!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »
Do we have a timeframe yet for Star Trek: Discovery? Unless I missed it, I didn't see any references. Pre-TOS? The design of the ship looks like it would fit better in that era.

Just Isn't Enough Damn Sci-Fi on TV These Days.  :)

Preach it!

EXPANSE Season 2 trailer is out BTW!

Can't wait for Expanse season 2. I'm 3/4 through Caliban's War. Looking forward to seeing how Draper moves in her power armor. Season one ended about halfway through Leviathan Wakes...will be interesting to see how they address the rest of that book, since the stuff with Draper doesn't start until the beginning of the second book and there was still a LOT that happened in the last 200 pages. Maybe flashbacks from the crew of the Rocinante? Also really looking forward to seeing that scene with the Nauvoo. Hope they do it justice.

Actually, there has been some good sci-fi on TV over the past year or so. It just comes in such small doses. Some of the best sci-fi shows I've seen are those short, 10-episode seasons. Colony (USA), Orphan Black (BBC America), Killjoys (SyFy), The Expanse (Syfy), and one or two others I can't think of right now...all good, but all short seasons. We don't really have a Star Trek: The Next Generation analog on TV these days. Gotham is good, Supergirl is good, but they don't scratch my sci-fi itch.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:32:08 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how Draper moves in her power armor.

From the stills, its looks like they're going with the more practical form-fit armor over the 'Elementals" style suits I pictured while reading. It also sounds like the opening scene is the Martian fight with you know what, so they're clearly jumping around in the timeline. GoT does that a lot to better align the drama - I'm all for it :-)

Lots of sci-fi adjacent shows on TV, lots of Firefly wannabes...but very few Starship shows lately...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 03:57:22 pm »
Yeah, at first I was thinking it was supposed to be much bigger as well (not Space Marine big, but still--something substantial). But remember in the later description where they stated the armor was designed for ship boarding, so the wearer had to be able to maneuver around inside a space-faring vessel.

Jumping around the timeline is fine, as long as they adequately address what happens. Kinda hard to move forward if they don't discuss how Leviathan Wakes ends.

Also...

[spoiler]That scene in Caliban's War where the protomolecule being gets onboard the Rocinante...that was freaky. I read that very late at night, and I don't mind admitting that I glanced around the bedroom several times after I turned off the light. Something about how that scene was written. Just...eerie. [/spoiler]

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 06:17:36 pm »
[spoiler]Something they *really* need to convey in the new season is just how squicky and terrifying the proto-molecule (or anything touched by it) is. Julie Mao's corpse and some other bits did well last season, but with no vomit zombies, the overall ICK factor has been muted, what with all the firefly lights and such. They need to turn the ick up to 11. A lot will hinge on how they depict the Proto-Mol Warrior thing. [/spoiler]