Author Topic: Alternative scenario -- Sector Control  (Read 2544 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Alternative scenario -- Sector Control
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:25 am »
Often the best admiral is the one that understands the value of the lives and equipment under his command.
In the opening movements of a larger conflict two forces collide as they attempt to control the waters around strategic dry land assets. Without the full weight of their fleets immediately available the admirals will be required to make calculated risks when determining how to best utilize their valuable resources.
Table Set Up:
Forces deploy in opposite triangles measured from half the distance up each table edge and then directly across to connect the edge points. Flanking table edges extend from the deployment zones table edges to cover the entire table edge. The table should be split into equal 24x24 sectors. Terrain should be positioned as a series of islands or a single large island running diagonally between the two deployment zones.
Reserves:
Half of the total MFV must be kept in reserve including all large and massive squadrons. Either secretly or openly roll 1d3 for each squadron kept in reserve and note the result. This will determine the turn in which these squadrons will arrive. Upon arrival a squadron must be deployed with its aft touching the table edge. If deployed within the deployment zone they will stay where they are. If deployed along the table edge outside of the deployment zone the enemy commander can attempt to shift them, representing the fog of war and inaccuracy of battlefield communication. The squadron must take a command test needing two successes, if failed the squadron will be shifted by the enemy 2d6 in either direction.
Victory Point Totals:
Victory Points are not gained in the normal method. To represent the calculated risks made during war Victory Points are determined by the squadrons that survive at the end of battle. Each fleet will have a total Victory Points bank equal to their points total. As ships are destroyed or reduced to half HP these Victory Points will be subtracted from the bank; note: it is possible to have negative Victory Points due to Strategic Value MAR.
It is also possible to gain Victory Points back. By controlling a sector of the battlefield squadrons can add Victory Points to the bank at the end of the turn. At the end of the turn sector control should be determined. Sector control is determined by adding the total points within the sector, half points for half HP ships. Whoever’s total is larger controls the sector (in the case of a tie the sector is disputed and no points are gained). Each sector controlled will add 25 points to the total Victory Points bank; note: it is possible to have more Victory Points than the starting number due to sector control conditions.
Strategic Withdrawal:
Due to the nature of the scenario, and the desire to preserve the forces under their control an admiral may wish to withdraw a squadron during the course of the battle. A squadron can choose to withdraw by coming into contact with a board edge during it’s movement segment. Squadrons that leave in this way will not be subtracted from the Victory Points total; however, if they have already been reduced to half HP those deductions are still calculated from the bank.
Game Length:
The game will last 3 definitive turns. At the end of turn 3 role a d6, on anything but a 1 the game continues. At the end of turn 4 roll a d6 on a roll of 4,5, or 6 the game continues into turn 5. After turn 5 the game will end automatically.
Victory Conditions:
At the end of the game Victory Points bank totals should be compared. The side with a higher bank value will be the winner. If the difference is more than half the total MFV it is a decisive victory. If the total is 100 points or less the losses were inconclusive and the game ends in a draw. Any other result will be a close victory.

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative scenario -- Sector Control
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:05:42 pm »
Sounds good. I think the rules reflect a more realistic objective.

In the deployment of reserve forces on a flank, when the enemy has an opportunity to shift incoming models. I assume they won't be able to force models to collide. I could see that they might bunch models together, reflecting fog of war, but that a collision could still be avoided.

What do you think?

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:11:00 pm »
Yeah I agree. Definitely no collisions, wth models or terrain, and definitely can't force something off the table.

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:26:32 pm »
Sounds good.

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »
Is it up to or at least 50% MFV in the reserve?

Also. Do we have to designate whether they are reserves or flankers before hand, or do we get to choose at the time?

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
As close to 50% as you can get which includes all larges and massives (obviously testing might be necessary).
They act like flanking forces. The normal advance, flank, and reserve forces aren't used.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative scenario -- Sector Control (battle report added)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:34:10 pm »
Well, we gave Quickdraw's scenario a try this afternoon at Collectormania. Unfortunately, due to weather, Quickdraw himself wasn't able to attend, so it was Captain Rockman (Russians/PLC), Warhawk (Brits), and myself (Chinese). To account for only having three players, Warhawk and myself deployed in two corners, and Captain Rockman deployed in the middle of the opposite board edge. It was the best way we could think to keep true to the scenario and still play with three players.

I think the general consensus was that it was a fun scenario to play. I liked that scoring was based on ships you still had alive (assuming you had sector control), not based on what you were sinking. Unfortunately, we all had our reserve forces come in on turn 1--just the way the dice fell.

Warhawk won with something around 2,950 points. I was second with somewhere around 2,725 points, and Captain Rockman came in third with (I think) around 1,900 points. However, it was generally agreed that Rockman's Khatanga-class heavy battleship was the MVS (most valuable ship) of the game, given the hurt that it put on both the Chinese and the Brits.

Here are a few pictures from the day:

The Dragon bides it's time, waiting to go after the PLC cruisers.

Warhawk's deployment zone.

As expected, The Dragon was a fire magnet. Rockman's PLC destroyed it at the beginning of turn 2, after hobbling the beast in turn 1 with an Engine Failure crit that even the Isolated Systems couldn't defend against. However, this took a LOT of heat off my commodore's battleship!

The Deadliest Ship of the Game: Captain Rockman's Khatanga-class heavy battleship.

Captain Rockman's heavy frigates taking advantage of their 360-degree movement and indirect fire to hide behind an island and rain death on Warhawk's Brits.

Not a good day to be a corvette captain!

Bombs away! Warhawk's War Rotor tries to interrupt the Khatanga's killing streak.

You would think this would have been the end of the line for this squadron of British Swift-class corvettes...but they ended up surviving a LOT longer than they had any right to. I can't remember how much fire I poured into them from both my Dao cruisers and my Guan Dao battlecruiser.

Meanwhile, on the table next to us, Stephan and Zorper were going through a Planetfall city fight:

Rush hour traffic is SUCH a drag...

The Aquan ground commander surveys the battlefield from the safety of his Leviathan.

It was a good day for Spartan gaming at Collectormania today, with two games going at once. We're definitely getting some traction there I think.

Warhawk and Captain Rockman, feel free to add your comments and correct any of my errors. Thanks for reading!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:21 am »
Thanks for writing this up and taking so many great pictures! That new spit-shine on the Khatanga paid off with some lucky dice rolls.

It was a very fun scenario. I really like the idea of VPs coming from surviving ships as opposed to destroyed ships. I want to try it again with normal deployment, and hopefully with the 50% MFV coming in later in the game, as that would drastically impact positioning for sector control (VPs).

Also, I learned that the PLC are not a great fit for this scenario. They need to run in and light things on fire close-range, or go down trying. That tactic doesn't work so well in a survival situation.

Slow moving, tough as nails, RC ships however, lend themselves nicely to this type of game. I'm looking forward to playing this again.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:59 am »
Also, I learned that the PLC are not a great fit for this scenario. They need to run in and light things on fire close-range, or go down trying. That tactic doesn't work so well in a survival situation.

Slow moving, tough as nails, RC ships however, lend themselves nicely to this type of game. I'm looking forward to playing this again.

Yeah, that's a good point about the RC. I wonder how the FSA would do in a scenario like this? That good long-range gunnery could come in handy...soften up ships in other sectors before moving in to take control.

Agreed on the reserves deployment. Maybe we could change the reserve deployment rule to read "reserves CANNOT deploy on turn 1". Then roll 1D6 to see what turn your reserves come in; you would re-roll a result of 1 or 6 (as the game ends no later than turn 5).
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:06:36 pm »
Sorry I'm late to the party!

First of all, this sounds like an excellent scenario...I might have to try it out myself sometime!

Second of all, looks like you guys had a great time playing it, and the pictures are great.

I can definitely see the point about how the more robust fleets like the RC or FSA could have an advantage here. Still, It's not clear to me just how big of an advantage that might be, or if there is any balancing that might be necessary. I think a few more play tests may be in order!