Author Topic: Omni-Stand Compatible Flight Stands  (Read 1185 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Omni-Stand Compatible Flight Stands
« on: May 23, 2021, 11:37:48 am »
Hi all! If you, like me, bought into the Omni-Stand system from Corsec Engineering, then you have probably been looking for an alternative since the company went out of business. I think I've got it figured out, as I discuss on the blog in more detail:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2021/05/22/a-base-affair/

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Re: Omni-Stand Compatible Flight Stands
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 05:43:00 pm »
Thank you for the article, are there any tips you have found on keeping the inserts perpendicular in relation to the base?

I constantly have trouble drilling pilot holes vertically when putting in acrylic stands; the smallest press I have found was designed for a Dremel, but the amount of torque that it puts out causes problems with small models.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 11:12:15 pm »

Brilliant idea, and a nice find in the thermal-sink screw points. TBH, those might be far wider in application.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 06:36:36 pm »
Thank you for the article, are there any tips you have found on keeping the inserts perpendicular in relation to the base?

I constantly have trouble drilling pilot holes vertically when putting in acrylic stands; the smallest press I have found was designed for a Dremel, but the amount of torque that it puts out causes problems with small models.

Well, the nice thing about the thermal inserts is that there is a few seconds of working time after they have been melted into the acrylic; I set them, pull out the soldering iron, then quickly thread in a stem to check the alignment. I can apply pressure to fine-tune the position of the insert before the acrylic cools and hardens again. If for some reason I didn't do it fast enough, then I can just re-heat the insert with the iron and soften it again.

I did find that having the holes pre-cut to the right diameter by Litko was a lot easer and more precise than attempting to drill them out myself!