Author Topic: In Harm's Way  (Read 1647 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
In Harm's Way
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »
Hey all! Just posted another War at Sea battle report on the blog. This time, Seth and I played a historical scenario:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2012/06/09/in-harms-way/

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: In Harm's Way
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »
I must be playing too many fantasy naval games because the beam on those ship models look way too narrow!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »
Hee hee! Actually, it might just be that you are used to looking at age-of-sail ships, as they were much "beamier" (that's actually a word, even though spellcheck disagrees). As for DW though, pretty much all of the designs are pretty "stubby," with a  length to beam ratio that is a bit lower than what was ultimately seen in WW II, though it is a little more appropriate for some real-world Victorian era ships (this is actually a topic I plan on covering in a future "DW vs Real Life" blog post  8)). Also, part of the problem is that the ships being used in the scenario were all cruisers and destroyers; these ships purposely had a very high length-to-beam ratio to facilitate high speeds.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:16 pm »
Yes, those age-of-sail ships (I'm still waiting for my "special order" of 17th century Spanish galleons in 1/1200 scale) are certainly "beamier" (and I'm so glad to hear from a reliable naval source that this is actually a word).

I had thought DW pushed the envelope with a British carrier composed of two battleship hulls in tandem, until a creative player modelled a carrier deck on top of a British "Dreadnought" model!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:07:58 pm by MadDrB »

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:07 pm »
Cool battle.  I am looking to do this scenario one day.  Read an account the battle in Cruiser, a history HMAS Perth and her crew.