Author Topic: Dropfleet Commander  (Read 13662 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Dropfleet Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 07:22:49 am »
SPACESHIPS! My commodore pledge arrived yesterday  :o
I'll have to unbox it tonight due to getting home late last night. Today is going to be a long day  :'(

For those interested, here is a timeline of my shipping process. I'm located in Northern Virginia, USA.

14 Nov: Notified that the shipping label was created.

17 Nov: Package was picked up, and started its journey.

18 Nov: Package arrived in USA

21 Nov: Package arrived at my house.

So, it was a week total from the first notification to delivery.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »
I just read your "Unboxing" blog post. DAAAAANG, there are a lot of small parts on those sprues!

Once you get the ships assembled, you'll have to post up some size comparison pics with Halo Fleet Battles, BFG, Firestorm Armada, etc.

Do you have paint schemes in mind yet?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 08:04:15 pm »
Just played my first game and very impressed. Essentially Andy has taken up from where he left off with BFG and produced a pretty nifty product.

Now to paint up a slew of Scourge!

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2017, 11:42:53 pm »
Just played my first game and very impressed. Essentially Andy has taken up from where he left off with BFG and produced a pretty nifty product.

More details, please!
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:44 am »
It is very similar to BFG with significant national/faction differences but some elements are streamlined. Absent close in weapons, ranges are unlimited but everything depends on achieving a firing solution which is determined by adding the firers electronic skill (scan range) to the targets electronic footprint (size plus activity) and subtracting any special EW tricks. Lots of special actions are available but many can generate a bigger EW footprint. Ordnance (fighters/bombers/torps) are strictly limited based on the size of battle (very valuable and not available en masse) thus the game moves sharply without carrier/aircraft clog that can curse both BFG and DW.

The game is totally focused on planetary rationale in that missions are invasions. bombardment. raids and defense and ignoring objectives will almost always result in failure. You can rarely kill your way to victory while ignoring objectives. This makes special assets - troop ships, bombardment vessels, landers - very valuable and in need of both protection and careful use. They (along with carriers who mostly cannot get in fights and live long except for the very largest) have to get to objectives while keeping out of the way of the other fellows big nastys.

The factions are (rough rough analogs) with UCM = Imperials (basic humans, not the best tech but very shooty), the Scourge = Tyranids (parasites with essentially semi-organic ships) close in brawlers with some stealthy stuff also cheaper but generally a bit fragile , Post-Human republic PHR = Space Marines/Adeptus Mechanicus , tough with better tech but fiddly to play (broadside ships almost age of sail thus maneuver dependent. Shaltari = Eldar,  significantly higher tech, more fiddly rules, freaking Elves, have not seen them play but tech/nasty/fragile.

All in all I've been impressed and the models are first rate and then some.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 01:02:48 pm »
Lack of the Carrier Clog is interesting, while still retaining the "Deliver the carriers/Dropships" aspect. From a game perspective, the less fiddly bits, the better.

How do you "protect" your vulnerable ships? Most space games don't restrict targeting, so I always see a system weakness in "Caravan Guard" scenarios.

Having your EW footprint, and thus vulnerability, go up with the more you do is a neat aspect. It sounds like it take likely tech consequences, and leverages it into a game mechanic. Those can often be awesome game aspects. OTOH, sometimes simulating things like that gets fiddly, and verges into Saganami Tac-Sim territory.

If Spartan screws up and stumbles out of local use by this summer, my most likely replacements are DZC/DFC or Star Wars Armada. So I'm always curious about each.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
You can protect your more vulnerable assets by dropping into atmosphere (landers and smaller vessels) or by going Silent Running (lowers footprint but cuts out most offense). Part of the challenge is interposing your offensive vessels forcing the opposition to choose between getting clobbered by the threat at hand over going after the prime targets. Needless to say, the emphasis on maneuver is strong as is deciding how/when/what to commit. With say three objectives on board, you have to decide to contest how many for how long to win. It is still early but I'm enjoying this as much as BFG.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:20 pm »
@McKinstry, thanks for the rundown. DFC does indeed look intriguing. I like the technical aspects of increasing your "footprint" based on activity, etc. I wish that Firestorm Armada and Halo: Fleet Battles incorporated more "sci-fi" aspects like that. Would be cool to see some offensive electronic warfare weapons--computer viruses, offensive jammers, etc. Halo doesn't really incorporate anything like that at all; Firestorm has one or two things that lean in that direction (like the Directorate's bio weapons and the ability to target specific subsystems), but both games could benefit from more of that sort of thing, in my humble opinion. I agree with you on the models--very cool looking ships.

@Dale, not sure how Spartan Games could stumble out of local use...that would require several of us to get rid of significant chunks of our miniature wargaming models...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 08:09:49 pm »
Thanks for the rules run-down, McKInstry. I still haven't managed to get my first game in. I have to say, looking through the rule book I'm having a hard time seeing the parallels between DFC and BFG in terms of mechanics...maybe it will become more apparent once I actually play the game!

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:38 pm »
The production value of the rules book is superb and vastly superior to any of SG rule books
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:28 pm »
The rulebook is great, quality background and pix, the minis look great (even though all of mine are still on sprues!) and I have no opinion on how it plays (yet).  The 2-Up battleship is an immense chunk of resin, at least as bis as I would expect Firestorm Armada leviathans to be (and on par with the recent Ice Maiden Kickstarter). 

There is a Facebook group with a lot of good paint jobs if you're interested in taking a look.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 09:04:35 pm »
I got a chance to play yesterday! Event report is up,on the blog:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2017/01/30/event-report-dropfleet-tournament/

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:12 am »
Thank you. Great report and your fleet was clearly the best painted.

Where we the players getting corvettes? I thought they hadn't been released yet?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:04 am »
Thank you. Great report and your fleet was clearly the best painted.

Where we the players getting corvettes? I thought they hadn't been released yet?

Thanks! Regarding the corvettes, the other players were proxying them. The PHR player was using old BFG Cobra destroyers, the Shaltari player used some kitbased minis, and the other UCM player was using the drones that come with a DZC unit:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/ferrum-class-drone-base

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 12:55:52 pm »