Author Topic: Living vicariously through this website and podcast  (Read 1431 times)

AngelSkull

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
Living vicariously through this website and podcast
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
So I discovered this site almost 2 years ago, and have been an avid listener of the podcast since. I’ve always loved naval-themed wargamming, ever since I started with Battlefleet Gothic back in the days of its release. My old Space Marine fleet is lost somewhere in my hometown in Canada (I’m now in the American mid-west).  Due to a limited player base (only 1 other in my town that I know of) I currently play WWII ground rule sets at the 15mm scale.

My wife has wife has put a realistic restriction on the miniature games I play; only 1 game / setting at a time. This kept me from jumping into Halo fleet Battles  :( . I’m thinking of trying a WWII naval ruleset, since I can argue it’s still WWII  ;D. I was seriously considering Topside Minis ship tokens since the scale would play reasonably well on my existing 6 x 4 table and I could get a reasonable amount of ships for a good price. Does anyone have a WWII naval ruleset favorite that I could look into? My gaming partner and I like for the ruleset to give us a good feel for the period, technology, and tactics (which is why we play primarily with the Battlegroup ruleset for WWII ground).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Living vicariously through this website and podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:55:05 pm »
Hey AngelSkull! Thank you very much for listening :).

Grand Fleets 3 might be worth your time, as I feel it gives a good feel for WWI/WWII tactics without having so much detail it takes forever to play. You can get a free demo of the rules from the Majestic 12 website:

http://www.mj12games.com/grandfleets/

Their selection of ship profiles for WWII is a bit limited, but I put together an Excel-based stat generator last year that makes it pretty easy to generate your own  8):

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2017/04/17/grand-fleets-3-stat-generator/

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »
Aye, welcome aboard! Glad you've been enjoying the podcast...Andy and I certainly enjoy recording it!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 05:54:11 am »

A suggestion from my part of the world is the older game Naval Thunder. :) It's a pretty good game for deatil, and plays fairly well for newcomers.

And nice to hear from you, AngelSkull! :)

AngelSkull

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54:49 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m looking into the Grand Fleets demo now.