Author Topic: First thoughts  (Read 1683 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
First thoughts
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:54 am »
I wanted to post a quick summary of my first thoughts when getting into the Fall of Reach box, and provide some initial detail for those that aren't sure if they'll buy into it. Hopefully this will also start a discussion of the initial schemes and thoughts of others.

Realize also this is all within the first day of ownership, there could be a whole new discussion once I get a few games under my belt.

First of all, the plastics are of good quality. Easy to assemble, highly detailed, and the two color molding was a nice touch for "out of the box games."
There are also plenty of other materials. The rulebook is a great size and quality, and the dice are pretty cool. I'm a little nervous about the longevity of the tokens and flight stand cards as they seem a little thin to me. But it should not be a huge problem considering any wear on my DW and FSA turn templates (the same material) has been almost nonexistent.
The rules are simple to grasp but provide very unique tactical options. The rulebook only contains minor errors and I've only come across a couple "whaaaaat? ::)" moments.
Overall it looks like it will be a brutal game and play quickly, similar to Planetfall.
There is also a substantial scenario booklet that runs similarly to other Spartan "get to learn the game" scenarios.

I was a little concerned about the initial price point but I think the value for the money is there. There's a lot of ships, it's not like any of their other game systems (even if there are similar base mechanics), and come on...its Halo.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:48 am »
Mine arrives today! The DHL guy couldn't leave it yesterday (stupid signature...).

Does it feel at all like they might use this for Firestorm 3.0, or more like an abstraction made to draw the HALO online players over to tabletop?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:18 pm »
Dale, while anything is possible, I find it very unlikely. These actual rule mechanics are very much a combination of simplified rules from their other game systems, with different names and labels (that's not to say that the rules are a direct port, there are obvious differences and new ideas).
What is different is the tactical options and possibilities while playing. I don't think that these tactical systems will fit into the established Firestorm systems.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:17:31 pm by Quickdraw »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:55 pm »
Thanks for the write-up Chris.

I have the boxed set now as well, although I'm getting it at a VERY busy time at work and at home, so I've not yet made it through the rule book.

I did, however, drool all over the plastic. Haven't had a chance yet to assemble any models--that will, unfortunately, have to wait until next week--but looking at them on the sprue, I am very impressed. Lots of detail for both forces. The only ship that looks "soft" to me is the Paris-class frigate for the UNSC. It's a one-piece model (thankfully!), but it doesn't seem to have much detail. This, I think, is OK, because it is VERY small. But I think it's going to have to be painted very, very carefully, so as not to cover up what detail there is.

I have to agree with Chris...from what little I've read thus far, they would have to make a SERIOUS overhaul of the current Firestorm rules to make them similar to Halo. And actually, I'm ok that they're different, and I hope that they remain different--otherwise it's the same game with different models and fluff, which is what a lot of people (myself included) thought would be the case when we first heard Spartan was making this game.

Will hopefully work through the rulebook by the end of the weekend, will post my thoughts once I do.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:09:47 am »
Small update. I finally pulled one of the bases and pegs off the sprue. In typical Spartan fashion the peg does not fit neatly into the base. Not a big deal, oh wait, these bases are plastic and immediately cracked under small amounts of pressure...it's not detrimental but definitely a small annoyance.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:11 am »
Ah, good to know. At least the cracks (and any attempts to repair them) will be hidden by the card on the surface of the base!

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:41 am »
Exactly. It's not the worst thing. But care should be used when assembling the bases. It's just a bugger as we might be adjusting bases mid-game and it could pose more difficult.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:13:33 pm »
So hopefully I'm not posting this too late to help anyone, but here are a couple tips I learned when cutting the bases off the sprues:

1. Use sprue cutters. There really is no other way to get the bases off the sprues without damaging them. The bases are brittle--much, much more so than the flight stands we're accustomed to with Firestorm or Dystopian.

2. When cutting, cut the connections between the sprue and the base closer to the sprue itself. This should leave you with a base that has three tabs sticking off the sides where it was once connected. Once it's completely off the sprue, cut the tabs off. If you try to cut the tabs right at the base while the whole thing is still on the sprue, you will almost certainly damage the base.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:54:32 pm »
Certainly isn't too late to help me! My box from The War Store just arrived today :). I won't be able to mess with it until tomorrow, though, since I'm on duty tonight.