Author Topic: PLANETFALL -Stuff the FAQ doesn't tell you  (Read 3207 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
PLANETFALL -Stuff the FAQ doesn't tell you
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:39:19 pm »
So we had a new 3000pts game last night, Aquans vs Relthoza, and learned a LOT to pass on. We had basically a full Core helix each (double boxes), though my Relthoza swapped out 2 units of recon Drones for a Bakash Flying Helix.

-- Shelve your prinetd rulebook (unless a new printing) and just use the updated e-Text. SO much is different.

-- Case in point - CQB is now *CLEARLY* one unit versus one unit. Nearby models within 4" take no part. Either the active unit picks a single target, or a single unit within 4" of the active (but not initiating) unit decides to attack them.

-- I now understand the Rear Echelon MAR. A Drop ship with this counts as already activated. So even if they land within 4" of an enemy unit, they can neither initiate CQB, nor have it initiated against them (as they could not specifically decline it). So no CQB as Overwatch in this case...

-- Flyers, Recon,  or other elements with Anti-personnel, Scatter, and/or Barrage weapons are DOOM to Infantry, even in building. My lone Novian gunship vaped 4 stands of Khitari Sweeper Teams in a building. And a single squad of Imzani skimmers killed 16 Jabri Drone bases over 2 activations. 

-- Shield dice are only rolled for those models in a Squadron which might actually take DAMAGE, not just hits. Other models in the same Squadron do not add in their shield dice. This goes for Infantry using Building Saves too.

-- Pinpoint Dice are only rolled against damaged but not killed *models* not dsquadrons. So if you wipe out whole models from a multi-model squadron, no pinpoint effect. And no effect at all versus Light and Infantry, which tend to have just a single Damamge point each.

-- Also, you roll only the highest contributing Pinpoint number for the SALVO, not the combined PP dice for each contributing model.

-- The Hard Target bonus for skimmers applies only when shooting them at your long range!

-- Flat-out prevents shooting, CQB, and Disembarking from a vehicle that moved Flat Out. However, if Infantry moves cruising OR Flat out, and all models in the squadron make base contact with a building or transport, they may embark on it.

-- It's actually GOOD that infantry cannot disembark from their transport and embark into a building in the same turn. Forces the little buggers out in the open for at least one activation.

-- CQB requires within 4" and LOS. Your Size 1 infantry cannot see over each other to CQB a Size 2 model, so this can make placement tricky for a large unit.

-- You can have Infantry CQB guys in a builidng without Storming. They just don't take the building if they "win", and Defenders get a cover save.

-- If you want to survive a nearby Relthozan (or insert favorite Infantry here) Sky Drop, you MUST employ Overwatch.

Questions I still need to look up:

-- Does a Drop Marker count as a model, or such that a moving model cannot stop on top of it?
Not that I can see from any reading - Drop and Artillery markers are "markers" and thus can be covered by moving models.

-- If Infantry can move some stands but not all into contact with a building, can they still embark in the building? Ditto for Storming actions?
Infantry must move ALL stands into contact to embark on anything, but they can flat-out to do so.

For storming, if Infantry ends a cruising move within 4" of a building, they can call for a Storming CQB during the CQB phase. Then they get a free Cruising move to get into base contact. Only models which make base contact fight, after resolving defenders attacks. As long as one model in base survives, and they win the CQB, all defenders can occupy the building, even those not originally in base contact.

-- If a set of link fire weapons don't all have the same MARs (just at least one to allow linking), does the odd MAR still apply to the whole Salvo?
I still can't find a discussion or answer on this one...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:22:48 pm by dalekunz »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Re: PLANETFALL -Stuff the FAQ doesn't tell you
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:39:00 pm »
Thanks for the write-up Dale.  Yes, I shall need to get my Imzani on overwatch a LOT more when facing an infantry-heavy force like yours.  One thing I'm wondering about the troop drop is when the infantry actually disembark from the spire.  Based on the example picture in the rule book, it looks like you place the infantry on the table as part of the sky drop itself, though the book clearly states that the infantry begin their activation AFTER the spire's activation is complete. 

I liked that game a lot, especially given how fast it played for the amount of stuff on the table, even with all the rules discussions slowing us down. 

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:23:26 pm »
Some more reading of forums and e-Rulebook, and I've updated above. All changes in RED

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:36 pm »
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to write this. Would you mind if I posted this to the blog this week?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15:20 pm »
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to write this. Would you mind if I posted this to the blog this week?
Go for it ! :-)

More is learned each time we play... soon, we'll know all about Leviathan CQB

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »
New question being discussed on the main boards:

How do you measure the drop placement for Sky-Drop Units?
 - Diagrams appear to show you measure from the relevant edge of the Drop Marker to the center of the model being placed. This is not precise though - not like the center of a Firestorm model where there's a clear peg spot.
 - Rules do not specify, except to describe model-to-model measurement as base-edge to base-edge. But the Sky Drop token is not a "model".
Thus, ambiguity!

I've been playing from marker to drop-model center.
This is a corner case in most situations, but it could really matter when the larger models start dropping, like the Dinz Leviathan, or the RSN Archangel.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:17:50 pm »
The example graphics imply that you measure from the edge of the token to the center of the model.  See the first illustration in the Sky Drop section.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
The example graphics imply that you measure from the edge of the token to the center of the model.  See the first illustration in the Sky Drop section.

One Strategos on the Spartan Forums has already suggested a new term: RAD - "Rules as drawn/demonstrated"

Its simplest to me, even with imprecision. Measuring to a model's edge immediately has can of worms: Which Edge? and What point on that edge?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »
Some 'new' stuff, where rules are actually in limbo (sort of).

Q; How do you disembark and move from a transport?

Option 1: Place all disembarking models in base with the transport. Any bases that cannot be placed are lost. Then make the Crusiing move with them, etc, as normal. The late 2014 FAQ (last version we have) supports this.

Option 2: Measure the move of the disembarking unit straight from the transport, and place models at the end of that move. This a but removes any chance of losing bases due to crowded placement. This is how it is described, in detail, in the Revised Rules PDF from recent months. It also contradicts the FAQ.

A recent Forum thread had Spartan weigh in to say the Rules are correct, and the FAQ needs updated. But this hasn't happened yet, so for some this issue might stay in limbo. For me, I'll go with Option 2, but then I play Relthoza, so I'm biased :-) But in general, I dislike ANY mechanic where you lose models due to janky placement - they always get gamed, abused, and feel stupid. 
"I'm sorry Citizen Nyx047 - you cannot depart this side of the drop ship due to enemy proximity."
"Well, can't we just crowd out on the other side? Especially if the rest of the unit has time to move like a quarter mile away."
"Sorry, that would violate procedures. Please report to the disintegration chambers so your deaths may be accounted for"

:-)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:58:19 pm »
Recon Helixes are UP - though expect a "reload" tomorrow with errors fixed.

Comments:
Dindrenzi appear to have no option to buy their new Heavy infantry under the Recon Helix options.

Relthoza Namisc entry is missing. Relthoza doc also has a whole extra blank page

Are Directorate Deadlock Infantry really supposed to be Drones with no Drone Nexus options in helix ? Having to tether them to a Stalker from the Heavy Helix seems absurd.

On good side:

-- Yayiss Spires have Sectored Armor
-- Aquan Larata Transports have the proper carrying capacity for a usefully upgraded unit (i.e. 9), unlike the Sedna's.
-- Anarchist Tanks fill a nice role for Directorate.
-- Sorylian Ja'Gor Walkers will be doom to all flyers

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:14:34 am »
Looks like corrected and updated Orbats are up!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »
Took me a while, but I finally got this posted to the blog:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2015/06/07/planetfall-questions-answered/

Dale, thanks so much for taking the time to put all this together!