Author Topic: Test Scheme for Empire of the Blazing Sun fleet (Dystopian Wars)  (Read 1689 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
My modeling ADD continues. I should be finishing my French, but sometimes I think of a paint scheme for a fleet and want to paint up a test model to see how it looks.

The latest project: my languishing Empire of the Blazing Sun (EotBS) fleet. I picked up some EotBS cruisers a few years ago, along with some frigates, after I had already taken the Dystopian plunge with the Federated States of America. Never really did anything with the models. Then last year I bought the Operation: Shadowhunter boxed set and found myself in possession of a modest EotBS surface fleet. So, I thought I might as well figure out a paint scheme for the ships.

My test subject is a Nakatsu-class light cruiser, a ship class that I just discovered is not even available anymore on the Spartan web store. You can still get them in the original EotBS starter box, if you can find one (I think Gamer's Haven may still have one on the shelf, and maybe even some blisters of these cruisers).

I think it's kinda funny that they have all those windows on the aft part of the ship. Must be the galley. Or maybe a big conference room or something.

The hull is painted with Forest Green by Master Series Paints. I actually forgot, until I was almost finished, that I meant to drybrush a lighter green over the hull. So the actual fleet models won't be as dark as this. Also, the first picture above is a little dark; the second picture is more true to the actual color.

I picked purple (actually Liche Purple from Citadel/GW) for the nose for a couple reasons: 1, in my mind that is the Japanese empress's favorite color, so she wants all her ships to incorporate that color; and 2, I needed something to break up all the green!

Captain Rockman, I didn't realize how close this is to your PLC color scheme until put the purple next to the green on the ship. My apologies, and I promise I had been thinking of that scheme long before I saw your PLC ships.  :-X

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Test Scheme for Empire of the Blazing Sun fleet (Dystopian Wars)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:48 pm »
I like it!

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:38 pm »
No worries. My green and purple are quite a bit darker so there shouldn't be any confusion. Yours are certainly less Joker-esque than mine.

When can we expect some more in the fleet?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »
@Stephan--thanks!

@Captain Rockman: hahaha, that's the true question isn't it. I'm not sure. I have a running painting list in my head, but unfortunately it is subject to my own whims and fancies. This is what happens when you have WAY too many unpainted fleets, like I do.

But I find that painting a test scheme model helps. Other than the couple things I forgot, which I mentioned above, I now have a plan for when I DO get back around to painting that fleet.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:06:41 pm »
Great job! I love the look. Very Mardis Gras  8)