Author Topic: Alice's Solarians... Finally  (Read 1280 times)

ALice-13

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Alice's Solarians... Finally
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
It's taken a while and a few misfires but I finally have a color-scheme I'm happy with.  I tried to keep it simple; primer white, yellow wash, grey, and a black wash over the grey areas.  It's got a slight shine since I hit it with a quick matte varnish to protect the paint.  Now, as soon as I finish this commission I'm working on, I can crank out the rest.  I'm getting there Quickdraw.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Alice's Solarians... Finally
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:58:14 am »
Excellent work! Yellow is a hard color to work with, but you did a great job with it. Did you wash the entire model yellow before doing the grey areas? If you have time, I'd love to see a few tutorial pictures of your process. I have heard of the ink on white method before, but yours are some of the best results I've seen with it.

ALice-13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:17:01 am »
Ruckdog:  I washed the whole model with citadel's Cassondora Yellow first the put P3s Cryx Bane Highlight on top.  I'll be sure to do a tutorial for my next one.  Thanks for the input.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »
Nice work! I like the color pattern on the armor plates. Will you keep the same pattern for each ship class, or make the patterns unique to each ship?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »
Agreed!  I've been thinking about doing mine in yellows and oranges and these serve to confirm my thoughts.  Your yellow stand out quite well.  Thanks for sharing them.

ALice-13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:18 am »
Thanks for the kind words.  Just know that there are three other ships that served as the prototypes and there were a few simple green baths along the way..  I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I chose yellow as my signature color across all my armies & games  (fortunately I spared my CoA fleet).  I did find a video tat made everything click when it said to think of yellow almost as a translucent, bringing along the color/shade of whatever you pant under it.  I tried to find the video to link but no luck.

Landlubber:  To answer your question I think I'm going with a random pattern unique to each ship, starting with primarily yellow plates in the front and more grey ones as you move aft.  I described it almost as a pixilated flame job but I don't know if that's such a good analogy.  The concept does work better with larger ships.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »
I like it. And you're right, it will be a more striking effect on larger ships. But it still looks great on the cruisers.

And don't worry...I've had to strip down my RSN cruisers so many times, I'm surprised the resin isn't stained green from all the Simple Green baths.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama