Author Topic: Landlubber's Dystopian Wars Terrain  (Read 1936 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Landlubber's Dystopian Wars Terrain
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »
Gamer's Haven in Colorado Springs is running a hobby challenge every month in 2015. You don't win anything except bragging rights, but it is a good excuse to paint and build things I wouldn't ordinarily paint or build.

This month's challenge is to build a piece of terrain for any gaming system. I've had a few of the JR Miniatures islands laying around my hobby room for a few years. I like they way they look, but I wasn't sure how to paint them up for use in Dystopian Wars. This month's challenge forced me to take a harder look at the issue, and my results are below.

First, a "before" picture:

I had originally intended to put those Dystopian Wars buildings on the island, but I couldn't find anywhere to put them, so I decided against it. Also not pictured here is the model train terrain/foliage set that I ended up using (I did use the foliage clumps in this picture in addition to the other stuff).

And here's how it turned out:

The "rock" portions were based in black, with a heavy dry brush of GW's Codex Gray. As mentioned above, the foliage is from a model train terrain set that I've had for about 10 years. The "beach" area was painted with P3's Hammerfall Khaki.

I was trying to figure out how to add some Easter Island-style stone figures--something the island's previous inhabitants had left. On a whim, I took a look in my 40k bits box, and found a skull that I figured I could use. My thought was to make it look as if it had been carved out of the same rock that it was sitting on. Maybe a warning to trespassers? Or the offering place for the islander's god?

JR Terrain's islands are 1/1600 scale, and Dystopian Wars ships are at 1/1200 scale (I think), so the terrain looks a tad small compared to the ships.

But, for wargaming purposes, I think it will suffice.

I've got at least one more piece of this terrain in the hobby room that hasn't been painted yet, so I'm going to leave this thread open for my future terrain endeavors.

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Thanks for looking!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Landlubber's Dystopian Wars Terrain
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:37:33 pm »
Whoa! These are great! Would love to play using such amazing scenery!!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »
The scale isn't off too bad. You made it generic enough that it still fits. It would really be noticeable if there were 1/1600 scale buildings or pine trees, something like that.
All scale issues aside though, it really looks great. Bang up job I'd say. These would really make a table pop.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:38:49 pm by Quickdraw »

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:35 pm »
As always, your attention to detail is wonderful. Hopefully we get to battle around these islands soon!

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
Awesome!  Bring that to today's DW game and post some pictures! 

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:48 pm »
Awesome!  Bring that to today's DW game and post some pictures!

Thanks! Unfortunately, we did use the island in the game today, but I don't think I got any good pictures of it in use. I'll post the pics I took in the big game scheduling thread.

I like the way the JR Terrain islands look, so I plan on doing a few more. I think I'll do them all in the "Pacific island" scheme that I did for the first one.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:41 pm »
They look great! I see what you mean about it being difficult to fit the buildings onto them.

ALice-13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:46:30 pm »
Very nice.  Was talking just the other day with Quickdraw about doing something similar with the CoA fortress and some sort of ice flow.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Very nice.  Was talking just the other day with Quickdraw about doing something similar with the CoA fortress and some sort of ice flow.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Captain Rockman: if you do icebergs, you gotta have penguins on them.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 01:41:34 pm »

I'll tell you the same thing I told Captain Rockman: if you do icebergs, you gotta have penguins on them.

And penguin poop. Right?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »
Of course!