Author Topic: Interceptor from FASA  (Read 493 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Interceptor from FASA
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:10:13 pm »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-0/description

Some details I stole from someone else!  Orlandothetechnicolored from Dakka:

The aetherstream opened the stars to us. Building gates to bridge rivers of aether, we left the cradle of humanity and settled hundreds of new worlds. Under the Terran Commonwealth we prospered. Intrepid pilots scouted the aetherstream for new prime worlds. Then everything changed, humanity was struck by a period of great suffering culminating in the disappearance of Earth and the Sol system. They just vanished. Years of chaos and reconstruction has now reached a careful balance between what remains. The Terran Commonwealth, Callistonian Empire, Babylonian Union, Free Trade Directorate, and the Allied Worlds all established themselves as the powers that control the gates, the path between the prime worlds.

Now that balance is threatened, a new prime world has been discovered, one that is rumored to have resources in quantities rare for even a prime. Exploitation of this world could tip the balance of power between the five factions. Open conflict has broken out between the Terran Commonwealth and the Callistonian Empire with more soon to follow.

Interceptor is the game of space fighter combat to resolve these conflicts. Pitting fighter against fighter, this is combat to control the local space around any important installation, location or convoy. Future games will cover ground combat and fleet battles for the control of planets and resources.

In our 40 year history, we have published many combat games. Interceptor takes from the best of them to create a fast system that is fun and easy to play. Battles between 6 to 12 fighters per side should be resolved in an hour.

The basic game contains 40 fighters, hex maps, 2 maneuver templates and plenty of dice. Fighter cards and pilot cards keep track of stats and condition. It’s all here ready for you to play right out of the box.

Pitting the Terran Commonwealth against The Callistonian Empire, each side is represented by two each of 10 different fighter designs, each with its own stand.

NOTE: this looks to be mechanically different from the old Renegade Legion: Interceptor space fighter game (old) FASA used to product, which I really enjoyed from what's in the video.

I've asked them if they can clarify the changes or whether this is a whole new mechanic set just borrowing the old name and some of the Renegade Legion background and (I think) ship designs

Edit: I've found confirmation the game mechanics are totally new, and while the ships may hark back to the old Renegade Legion designs they are new too, so treat this as a new, unconnected game
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: Interceptor from FASA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 10:20:12 pm »

This looks interesting . . . There are a lot of space fighter games on the market, but this does seem to have some unique features. I take it there is already a game called "Aetherstream" in existence?

WholeHazelNuts

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:09:49 am »
It does look interesting, and I like the look of the gameplay.

But the fighters themselves just aren't exciting me. I had the original Interceptor all those years ago, and it might just be age talking(!) but I thought they were more diverse and interesting? Or am I looking back with rose-tinted glasses?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 06:30:29 pm »
It does look interesting, and I like the look of the gameplay.

But the fighters themselves just aren't exciting me. I had the original Interceptor all those years ago, and it might just be age talking(!) but I thought they were more diverse and interesting? Or am I looking back with rose-tinted glasses?

No, they were some lovely and in some ways unique looking fighters, especially the Fluttering Petal - here's the old CinC page https://www.pfc-cinc.com/rl_spacefighters.html