Author Topic: EDR Podcast Episode 7  (Read 891 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
EDR Podcast Episode 7
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:46:16 am »
This time around, Josh and Andy were able to get Stuart from Warcradle Studios on the show! Warcradle recently purchased the intellectual property rights for the Firestorm, Dystopian, and Uncharted Seas settings. In a wide-ranging interview, Josh and Andy talk to Stuart about where Warcradle plans to take the various settings and games in the future. Will there be a new version of Firestorm Armada or Dystopian Wars? Will Uncharted Seas rise again? Will there be a revived Vanguard program? Tune in to find out!

http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2017/10/11/exploding-dice-radio-episode-7/

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: EDR Podcast Episode 7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »
Thanks for that chaps, a lot to chew over.  Sounds like UCS will be sooner than we think, and because of the nature of the product, more of a Warcradle stamp.  The constant references to WWX though do worry me a little, as it seems to be shaping some of the other games, like legions.  Legions does have a  lot of potential, especially with warcradle's plastic tech to go mainstream for grognards as a massed game, and I am not convinced that either going down the posse route or one fixed location really works in its favour.  It seems to me more natural to do a matching kit with the DWars boxed set. 

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: EDR Podcast Episode 7
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »
Excellent ep!

I'm still curious if they'll ever try to merge WWX and Dystopian Wars/Legions. But per Stuart's principles, WWX needs to stay a Wild West game, so probably no need to reconcile/merge. :-)

I even hope now for a Legions revival where I might have pith-helmeted Brittanians defending a small outpost versus hi-tech Zulus. :-)

I also was glad to hear they're moving away from the Fleet Action type subgame, at least with the totally different rules. I don't object to a smaller faster game per se, just the way it was implemented (and that damn chart of course).

Not to bash Spartan, but it sounds like more dedicated designers are working on the games now than has happened for years, possibly ever. targeted investment like that usually yields excellent results.

Oh, and very cool news on Uncharted, even before we see designs!
The only unasked question I would have thrown in is how do they plan to address the one problem I always had - the glaringly empty decks on otherwise gorgeous models. It just always bugged me that the ships looked empty - I know it not practical to sculpt crew at that scale, but it still looked weird. MAN O WAR never had the issue, because they were a smaller scale where ship decks were more abstract.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader