Author Topic: SPARTAN CLOSING  (Read 15891 times)

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: SPARTAN CLOSING
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »
Would mantic be interested ?

They could also resurrect uncharted seas to go with their fantasy line
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

You Look Like A Nail

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 07:05:50 pm »
Would mantic be interested ?

They could also resurrect uncharted seas to go with their fantasy line

Mantic's thing is mostly inexpensive plastic.  Do they do a lot of resin?  They could probably make it work but they seem to have a lot of their own stuff going on right now.  Anything's possible, though.

You Look Like A Nail

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:39 pm »
As for community rules, I couldn't see starting from scratch as you're too likely to make the new rules so much different than current players (the only ones the IP is worth anything to) won't even see it as the same system.  I think there are probably a few "cornerstone" ideas/designs that could be changed.

For community rules, yup, absolutely.  I think it would have to be based on the current rules, just refined and fixed and maintained going forward.  That would be the best way to get the most people to buy into it, and would be the most likely to succeed in getting wide acceptance among the surviving player base, which would help keep the game in play.  With a good community effort behind it, a game can last indefinitely without a publisher.  Again, just look at Epic.

What I've been tinkering with is more of a ground-up redesign, which obviously would be a lot harder to get people to buy into, but I'd mostly be doing it for my own benefit anyway.  If anybody else could use it, that'd be gravy.

No reason both can't coexist, of course.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 07:24:06 pm »
Spartan Josh's last post is interesting too.
http://thewaygate.blogspot.com/2017/08/godspeed-old-friend.html

I hadn't followed forums in a while since they became blocked at work. Sounds like toxicity abounded, so glad I didn't.
I've never liked Alex Mann's angle on things anyways.
But what's the FFG angle that Josh alludes to? I don't get that.

In any event, a splintered fan base makes it less likely the IP sells. :-(

I've made a deal to sell my HALO. I'm boxing the rest up to reclaim foam space, and make it easier to move if deals arise. (PM me as always).
In the meantime, I'll play some last games as fate permits.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure FFG doesn't stand for Fantasy Flight Games in this context. It's either a reference to the Facebook groups or the old FSA playtest group, I'd guess.

erloas

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 08:56:29 pm »
Wasn't there two Joshs at Spartan (as well as 2 Mikes) with one (of each) being FSA and the other being DW?

I didn't see a lot of hate and discontent in the DW section.  There was one or two people that clearly had a rather unique meta and it clearly changed their perception of the problems of the game but it never seemed bad.

As for Mantic, I don't know much about them, but it seems like their whole thing is that they are ex-GW employees that have just redone GW's games.  They also seem to basically live on Kickstarter. 
I guess it would mostly depend if their doing their own thing now or if they're still just trying to pick up disgruntled ex GW players that already basically know the games and models.

Draco84oz

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
  • E = MC....let me get my notepad...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 03:05:07 am »
FFG was the Firestorm Focus Group - from what I could gather, it was a former group of beta testers.

With regards to the community ruleset, I think they'll have to be based on the 2.0 set of both systems (Orange book for FSA). We can't really use 2.5 for DW, since most the stats were never really released (except the Egyptians - and compare their drones to the CoA drones), and 3.0 FSA was going to have some significant changes to the ruleset. Doesn't mean things can't be cleaned up - the DW2.5 boarding rules, for example, are a heck of a lot easier to work with compared to 2.0. And I think even the SAS and Carrier rules could also be carried over.

Proabably leave the Fleet Action rules at v2.5, though - those were fully released.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:12:22 am by Draco84oz »

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 07:22:36 am »
Hi everybody,
with Spartan - and their forums - being gone I decided to make this here my new home for everything Firestorm.

I guess we will have to wait for any future developments, but I also am rather pessimistic about an official resurrection of the Spartan game systems. A fan-based version seems more likely.
In the meantime - I bought a dozen or so boxes from an online vendor and noticed that they are running out of stock fast. So, if you think about getting some more ships, get them rather sooner than later. I got mine from www.fantasyladen.de as they had a 20% discount on anything Spartan (until they realized that their closure meant good business for them and they reduced the discount to 10%, but what they have left in stock is still cheaper than on ebay).

Another option I would consider for the future is ordering 3D printed ships from Shapeways. Does anybody know if there are already ships that would fit the scale and the feel of the Firestorm universe available there?

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 09:45:13 am »
There are some alternative aquans on shapeway
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 09:48:04 am »
I emailed spartan to see whether they would sell what they have in stock

Will update if I hear back

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:18 am »
Hi everybody,
with Spartan - and their forums - being gone I decided to make this here my new home for everything Firestorm.

Welcome aboard Wanjajoral. We have a section of the forum set up already for Firestorm Armada. Thanks for the info on the models!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »
For what it is worth, I was in the DW Focus group and there wasn't any vitriol. For that matter, while there might be a touch of snark here and there on the main DW Forums, overall it was a really well behaved group united by a real enjoyment of the game and overall a solid level of support for Spartan with the occasional touch of understandable frustration at delays and scattered focus with so many systems.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
After having collected my thoughts for a few days, I've written a blog post discussing the closing of Spartan Games:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2017/08/27/the-sinking-of-spartan-games/

Amiral X

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 07:47:28 pm »
Thanks for your post Ruckdog, you summarize more or less what I feel about SG demice...

Do you know other place/forum where we can find some survivors from the SG forums and community ?

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 08:58:28 pm »
Speaking of seeking survivors

Does anyone know who or how to contact the creator of this
http://ohmcz.eu/campaignstats.html