Author Topic: Babylon 5 late-war EA  (Read 3187 times)

Brigman

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Babylon 5 late-war EA
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:13 pm »
Finished these up recently:

Cronos frigates leading an Apollo missile cruiser and Delphi scout:

Aft shot:

Top:

Apollo missile cruiser:

Delphi scout:

Cronos FFG Philidelphia:

Cronos FFG President:

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Babylon 5 late-war EA
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »
Great job! I like the looks of these ships and the scheme you did on them. I've looked into collecting some of the EA minis myself, but the are so hard to come by now. I see some pop up on eBay from time to time, but they always wind up going for more than I'm willing to pay!

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »
The Delphi has always been a favorite
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
Thanks lads!  Glad you enjoy.  I admit it's tough matching paint schemes with ships I did 10 years ago (while my painting has grown in that decade).  But I try to "improve" on them without "obsoleting" them.  :)

BTW, Agent One (Bruce Graw) still maintains a sale page and is selling off "old stock" ;) that you may be interested in.  http://aog.hostedbywebstore.com/

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:47 am »
Beautiful ships!  I've only ever seen the B5 game played once, and that was at the most recent Tacticon here in Denver.  What kind of following does this game have?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:06:31 pm »
Guess what, I have hundreds of (unpainted) B5 ships.  Stephan has a bunch of (painted) ones.  I think he played with some folks in the Springs.  I've only actually played the game against myself a couple of times.  I lost each and every game.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
Guess what, I have hundreds of (unpainted) B5 ships.  Stephan has a bunch of (painted) ones.  I think he played with some folks in the Springs.  I've only actually played the game against myself a couple of times.  I lost each and every game.

Outstanding.  Sounds like me.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:38:58 pm »
That Apollo is fantastic, I really like what you've done across the board.

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:41 pm »
Thanks lads!

The game's been "dead" for 10 years but still has a devoted following, not as active as it once was but there.

The minis/molds were also "re-used" for Babylon 5: A Call to Arms by Mongoose.  I prefer the AoG game "Babylon 5 Wars" myself, but the minis are the same. :)

There is a forum with resources and discussion that may interest you:  http://b5warsnet.freeforums.net/

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:30:34 am »
The minis/molds were also "re-used" for Babylon 5: A Call to Arms by Mongoose.  I prefer the AoG game "Babylon 5 Wars" myself, but the minis are the same. :)

That's intersting! Most of the folks I know who have played both games prefer the ACAT version. I myself have the books for both, but to to date I've only played a demo of B5 Wars. From what I remember, it had a very interesting movement system that allowed you to side-slip and the like, almost like the ships were moving around on a sheet of ice or an air-hockey table. I also seem to remember that it was geared towards small actions (1-2 ships on a side) vice the fleet scale of ACTA...but then, that demo game was 5 years ago now!

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »
Yeah, the movement system was an attempt to represent interia in a vaccum.  So, if you're moving "north" and pivot the ship, you're still moving "north", you're just facing "west".  You can of course change your movement vector to "west" as well by turning instead of pivoting.

I loved the game, still do.  Just don't get to play it much.  I'd say it's designed more for the squadron level (3-5 ships per side) than the "dual" or Fleet level. :)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:33 am »
Ah, makes sense. It's been a while since that demo game! I remember thinking that the movement system was interesting. If I recall correctly, your top speed was essentially unlimited, and you just controled your acceleration rate, correct?

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
Yes, you could in theory accelerate forever.  Complicating this however, is the fact the cost to turn your ship goes up the faster you're going... and the danger of having your Retro thrusters blown off, which would keep you from decelerating easily. ;)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »
Yep, that would tend to throw a wrench in the works, I admit!

I'm excited, I just found some old blisters of a Omega class destroyer and a Hyperion class cruiser at a game store up here. I'll probably use them for display more than gaming, but they are some of my favorite ships from the show!

Speaking of which, I built a large-scale model of an Omega a while back:

http://manbattlestations.com/forum/index.php?topic=170.0

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »
Wow, that's fantastic!  Very cool ship, and very "Earther" if you ask me.  Good work!