Author Topic: Test Scheme for Covenant Ships  (Read 1672 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Test Scheme for Covenant Ships
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:05:44 pm »
Finally got my Covenant CCS battlecruiser complete. I had to use a lighter background as the ship is somewhat dark.

The main color is Sparkling Amethyst, the raised portions of the hull are done in Sparkling Blue, and the recessed areas are Coppery Orange--all from Master Series Paints. The model was based in Codex Gray and then drybrushed with GW's Runefang Steel before the other colors were applied.

I was going for a metallic look, but wanted to also keep the blue and purple colors that the Covenant are known for.

The ship also has a fair amount of detail underneath, although we'll never see it on the tabletop:

Comments and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:10:31 pm by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Test Scheme for Covenant Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:27:46 pm »
I enjoy the color scheme.  Reminds me of what I wanted to do with the Abbai from Babylon 5 Wars, an aquatic race.  And it's a shame you don't get to see the bellys.

Do Covenant ships use gravitic drives or something along those lines?  Don't see any visible thrust/drive mechanisms. 

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:29 pm »
Thanks Mark! Whenever you want to try out a game of Halo, just let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

As for the drives on Covenant ships, I'm not sure. There was nothing on the model that jumped out at me as an engine. But it's alien technology...for all we know, the skin of the ships is covered in something that allows the vessel to slide through space.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:22 pm »
Subspace slime.  Definitely.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:31 pm »
Alright. Decided to go a completely different direction with my Covenant ships.

The other scheme was just way too complicated and time intensive.

Base color is GW Runefang Steel, with a couple coats of GW Waywatcher Green glaze over the steel color. The gold areas are two coats of P3's Rhulic Gold over a base of Runefang Steel (repainted after the glaze was applied). The red markings are Ruby Red from Master Series Paints.

Covenant ships are traditionally a purple color, and I might try this same technique later with a purple glaze over the steel, but for now I like this color. Non-traditional, yes, but so are my UNSC. And to be honest, I have so much $#%@ unpainted resin/plastic stacking up that I need to start going with simpler schemes if I ever hope to have it done. Especially with Adepticon on the far horizon...

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:15:12 am by Landlubber »

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:45 am »
I like both, but the paint seemed rough textured on the first model.  The green looks much smoother.

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:21 am »
I like both schemes as well, but the green is more appealing to the eye. It feels a little more covenant to me.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:41:39 am »
Thanks guys. Yeah, it was something about the paint in that original scheme...those were "sparkling" paints, as I was going for a metallic finish, but I didn't dilute them with anything. Maybe should have.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:16:41 pm »
The green looks awesome, very alien. Those glazes are great paints aren't they!?
When my UNSC play your Covenant it's going to look like a forest flying around in space  :)