Author Topic: Quickdraw's Republique of France test model  (Read 1689 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Quickdraw's Republique of France test model
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »
This is more of a test of the techniques I'm hoping to use on my new French fleet. As well as a test of the (what I hope is unusual) camouflage pattern.
I was going for a heavy stipple for the bone color but it turned out looking more like a heavy drybrush.

Criticism and thoughts are welcome. It's missing detail work and some highlights.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Quickdraw's Republique of France test model
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:02:09 pm »
Neat! I love the idea you came up with for the cammo pattern, and the colors work well. One thing you might try is going back and carefully applying a black or dark blue wash to just the armor/hull plate joints and the portholes along the side. It would add some interesting depth to the model, I think. The metalics you are using on your primary and secondary gun turrets also looks a little flat (it could just be the lighting in the photo, I admit); a black wash and drybrush could really make them pop. Even without any more work, though, that is a fine looking Pocket Battleship you have there 8)!

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:08:48 pm »
Very Nice!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:11:37 pm »
That's a very unique camo pattern, I like it! Ship looks great overall--the color combination of the deck with the hull is a good match, I think.

I'll echo Ruckdog's comments--recommend a wash of some kind on the guns. Not that this is the right way to do it, but most of the metallics I paint on my DW ships are a combination of three colors, or two colors and a wash. For example: for my Chinese, the metallic parts were painted black, then they got a heavy dry brush of one metallic color, then a light dry brush of a second metallic color to complement the first. For the tesla coil on my Australian ship, I put down one metallic color right on top of the primer, then did a heavy black wash (Nuln Oil from GW), then a medium dry brush of a second metallic. Adds some depth to the "metal".

Can't wait to see the rest of the fleet!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 12:06:02 am »
Believe it or not the guns have a heavy nuln oil wash, didn't drybrush anything on top yet. That might make them pop a bit more. A blue wash on the hull isn't a bad idea though, I think I'll give that a try and see where it gets me.

ALice-13

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:02 pm »
Looks great, cant wait to see it on the table.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:16:10 am »
Looking real nice!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40:20 pm »
Looking good! Digging the lil 3 dots and slash detail. May borrow a similar design for some of my Australians.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"