Author Topic: Space Mecha!  (Read 2451 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Space Mecha!
« on: March 18, 2021, 12:20:16 pm »
Greetings all,

I have been playing around with playing Space Mecha games.  The desire is to have a dogfight game, in space, with robot suits!  I want to capture the feel of shows like Gundam, Robotech, and others in the genre.  Typically, you see robotic suits being piloted by youngsters, with blazing guns, missile swarms, and the like. 

Initially, I was planning on buying some Dream Pod 9 Mecha from Jovian Chronicles and using those in my game.  However, while reviewing Amazon, I ran across a set of knock-off Gundam, plastic toys.  I got 144 or so for $15 USD.  That is like ten cents a mini. 

The contents of the set look like this....

You can see they are easy to cut up with a plastic cutter, trim with an exacto, or use a standard knife to cut them at the joints.  You can also see that the standard designs are very static.  However, they are about the size of a standard 28mm model. 

Next, I started chopping them up to get more dynamic poses.  I then used Green Stuff to fill in gaps to create more dynamic poses.  I dug through my bitz box and found some old GW Eldar Guardian las guns and melta guns which I chopped up and added to the models as built in weaponry.  At the end of the day, I had about 8 Mecha in various poses with a few variant weapon options.....

There is still a bit more work to do.  For example, I want a few missile boxes added using Green stuff and to mount them after painting to flying stands.  However, I think they look much more dynamic than the initial models.  Plus, at 10 cents a piece, that is a pretty good starting point. 

I have a second faction to make next, with about 8-10 mechs with a few different weapon load outs as well.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Space Mecha!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 02:12:07 pm »
Initially, I was planning on buying some Dream Pod 9 Mecha from Jovian Chronicles and using those in my game.  However, while reviewing Amazon, I ran across a set of knock-off Gundam, plastic toys.  I got 144 or so for $15 USD.

Link please :-)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:31:06 pm »

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 02:39:18 pm »
Thanks

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:19:22 pm »
So, I have started to paint these guys using cheap, big box store acrylics.  Priming is a must to get decent coverage.

I will have some updated photos soon. 

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:16 pm »

Nice to see Jovian Chronicles getting some love - pretty good game with some nice mechanics and neat models, recently boosted by a Kickstarter.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:40:29 am »
Not Jovian Chronicles per se..... just some knock-off "Not Gundam" toys that I am converting for my own purposes. 

Here they are all painted up.  I did some drybrushing and highlighting techniques, but the wash kinda just hid all of that work.  Oh well, I think they look good for what they are!  Next, I want to put them on some flying stands.....

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 04:39:31 pm »
Nice, is the top left a green stuff missile pod that you mentioned from the first post?
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:24:38 am »
Yes, it is.  I just made a quick box, used a clay tool for holes, and put some edging on with a scalpel.  Easy-peasy. 

Now, figuring out how to get these guys on flying stands will be much harder! 

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:53:39 pm »
I started working on my Opposition Force for my space mecha.....

They come from a more, utilitarian, former power, that has descended into a stagnant, totalitarian state where one of the most common resources is human life.  They have a much less glamourous set of Combat suits, with a couple more advanced styles reserved for those who have proven themselves and officers.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 01:04:26 pm »
Well, here are the Earth Alliance painted up...

Not much to see really.  Pretty "No Frills" from the utilitarian, Totalitarian state.

Next step is to figure out how to put them on flying bases/stands. 

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 11:04:10 pm »

They may have started as "Knock-offs" but they are looking superb right now!

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 11:38:58 am »
Thanks.  I really need some suggestions on how I can base these guys on flying bases?  I am having a hard time figuring it out.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:43 pm »
I have been making my own posts for stands by using 1/8 inch clear acrylic rods from Plastruct, and drilling out holes in the model and base.  On a 3 inch high post, usually 3/16 is as deep as I have needed to go on the models to keep them stable, with 3/8 as the depth through the test bases.

Plastruct also makes a 1/16 acrylic rod, but I don't have any experience with that size, and it looks like your first set probably have a wide enough feet to accommodate 1/8.

Thanks.  I really need some suggestions on how I can base these guys on flying bases?  I am having a hard time figuring it out.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 05:19:22 pm »
I have been making my own posts for stands by using 1/8 inch clear acrylic rods from Plastruct, and drilling out holes in the model and base.  On a 3 inch high post, usually 3/16 is as deep as I have needed to go on the models to keep them stable, with 3/8 as the depth through the test bases.

Plastruct also makes a 1/16 acrylic rod, but I don't have any experience with that size, and it looks like your first set probably have a wide enough feet to accommodate 1/8.

Hmmm...I'd be worried that 1/16 rod wouldn't be rigid or durable enough. That's pretty thin! For reference, the standard diameter I've seen used for flying bases (such as Spartan's) is 3/32".