Author Topic: Ruckdog's Victory At Sea  (Read 1226 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Ruckdog's Victory At Sea
« on: August 28, 2020, 12:03:36 pm »
Got a few minutes to pull out the USS Arizona mini last night, assemble it, and pull out the W@S mini to compare it to:

The model consists of a resin hull/base, with multiple metal add-ons.

Some of the parts (masts and cranes especially) were a bit fiddly and a challenge to get off the "sprue" without damage.

Sadly, the posts for the turrets are too long to permit magnetizing without modification (this pic shows two 1/32" thick magnets in the well, with the "B" turret on top.

Here is the mini next to the WotC mini. As one might expect, the overall proportions and level of detail are nicer, though the barrels of the turrets on the Warlord version do look a bit chunky.

The tripods in particular are much nicer than the WotC mini, and the new model also has more details such as the boat and aircraft cranes.

Overall, I think the level of detail on the new Victory At Sea mini is much nicer than the WotC mini, though were not quite up to GHQ level here. Not sure how it compares to a 3-D printed one, though.

Kilrain

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Ruckdog's Victory At Sea
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »
A very nice comparison! I have been eyeing this at Eagle and Empire.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:20:05 pm »
I've finally gotten all my V@S ships cleaned up and primed.

Here is the USS Portland and USS Idaho I'm working on, in Measure 21 (overall Navy Blue).

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 04:09:57 pm »
I look forward to seeing more.  I really, really hate the basing on these, but that is just a preference.  I am sure they look fine with the Arm's Length rule in place. 

Have you had a chance to play the game yet?  I am really interested in that experience.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 06:46:27 pm »
I look forward to seeing more.  I really, really hate the basing on these, but that is just a preference.  I am sure they look fine with the Arm's Length rule in place. 

Have you had a chance to play the game yet?  I am really interested in that experience.

I've gotten a quick learning game in with my father-in-law a while back. I'm hoping to get another game in soon with a local friend in the near future. The rules felt fun to me, and they have a lot of nice historical flavor IMO. The level of detail in them is about equivalent to the 2.0 and 2.5 versions of DW, it seems (the mechanics are different, but the overall level of "crunch" felt similar). I'll be able to gauge that one better once I've got my hands on the full-sized rule book (due to ship at the end of the month).