Author Topic: Ideas for the next X-Cam  (Read 1599 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Ideas for the next X-Cam
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:34:01 pm »
So, I think that our fall X-Cam was actually pretty successful, despite it not having been played to completion. We had 16 games played by 8 different active players, which is quite a few when you think about the distances and differences in schedule involved. Based on this experience, though, I think there are a couple of things we can do to make the next X-Cam (and, yes, I am assuming that there WILL BE another one ;) ) even more successful.

1. Modifying Point Rewards/Costs. Last time around, we never got to the point of playing any Control missions. I think that was partly due to the number of Strategy Points required to play such a mission (25). From what we saw with our stat board, it takes about 4-5 strategic missions to get that many. In order to win the whole thing, a player would need at the bare minimum 75 strategy points to afford the 3 control games, which means that a player would have to have played at least a dozen strategy missions. I think this is just too many for our group. I propose that we reduce the cost of a control mission from 25 SP to 10 SP instead.

2. X-cam Events. I think that we could roll a tournament style event into the X-cam; Just make every round at the tournament an 800 point Strategic Game. We could even award small Recon Point bonuses to attendees, though we would want to make those small so as to not overly disadvantage those players that can't make it to the event.  I think this would be a great way to pull more people into the campaign, and it we could make it work even if not everyone was a part of the X-cam.

3. Prizes! As a little extra motivation, I think that it might be worthwhile to have a prize for the winner of the X-cam. We could either charge a small registration fee, or I might just officially sponsor it as C-in-C of Man Battlestations ;).

What do you all think?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for the next X-Cam
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:45:44 am »
I'm looking at hosting an event at the Game Vault on Sunday, April 7th, so it's time to nail this down to roll out then.  There are certainly good points here about modifying the system.

Something I've considered is reducing to one type of "Campaign Point" system--players need to spend more to play larger games which also reward more points, rather than having a tiered structure of points.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Ideas for the next X-Cam
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »
Yeah, I think that could work too. I think the bottom line is that we need to reduce the total number of games needed to get to a campaign victory.