Author Topic: Poseidon's Warriors- Corinthian War Battle  (Read 977 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Poseidon's Warriors- Corinthian War Battle
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:43:41 pm »
The Corinthian War was a conflict between an expansionist Sparta and her allies and the combined alliance of Athens, Corinth, Thebes, and Argos.  The war took place between 395 to 387 BC and involved forces on land and sea.  The land warfare mostly took place near Corinth and Thebes while the ocean battles took place around the Aegean.

Corinth and Athens were the second and largest fleet in Ancient Greece.  They were well established naval powers.  Sparta on the other hand was attempting to build their Naval power to align with their abilities on land.  Most of the Spartan ships were tribute from allied city-states from the Aegean.

Not all battles of these ancient wars were properly recorded and many were lost to the mists of time.  The action below is one such battle.

The Forces

Spartans   
 1 Slow Trireme unit with Commander, Elite Marines- 210 pts
4 Slow Trireme units- 150 pts each
Total= 810 points

Alliance
1 Fast Athenian Trireme with Admiral- 200 pts
3 Slow Corinthian Triremes units- 150 pts each
1 Fast Athenian Trireme deploying in reserve- 150 points
Total= 800 points

You can read all the gory details on my blog....
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/01/poseidons-warriors-battle-report.html

Let me know what you think.....
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Poseidon's Warriors- Corinthian War Battle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »
Great report! Thanks for sharing. I have the Poseidon's Warriors book, but I haven't managed to get the game to the table yet, so your report helps a lot with my understanding of the game.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »
Very cool. Thanks for posting!

I do have a question, though, since I am not familiar with naval combat in this period. What does the artillery consist of? And I'm assuming whatever the artillery is, it's something different from the volleys of arrows--is that correct?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:47:07 am »
Artillery was volleys of javelins, arrows, slings stones, etc.  I am not an expert either but, Ballistas were also thing at this time.  I think they were called Oxybeles and Gastrophetes?

However, it is not clear how widespread these larger weapons were as most accounts do not talk about them too much.  They focus on ramming and boarding instead.  You know, Heavy Infantry Uber Alles, that is the ancient Western way! 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing