Author Topic: Stellar Cartography: Proposed Campaign Map  (Read 2281 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Stellar Cartography: Proposed Campaign Map
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »
Here is what I put together:

Very rough, and I will make a "prettier" version of this for the actual campaign. I'd like to get some feedback, in terms of the number of systems, the layout, the system names, etc.

Oh, and what do you guys want to call this particular sub sector of space? I was thinking along the lines of naming it after either the Hive World or the Forge World:

-Armus Sub-sector

-Loak Sub-sector

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Cartography: Proposed Campaign Map
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:15 pm »
My only comment is that by limiting the Loak to armus Route, you could introduce a bottle neck where only 2 people are facing each other every week.  So if you make it a little more spiderwebby you could open up the opinions for play a bit, after all its a 4 player game, maybe a connection from Goldvein to Canova or something.

As for the name I like naming it after the Forge world as I feel it would have a higher impact on the subsector. Also a Sector Key would be nice. Remember the PDF versions have the key missing from the maps. So I know that M is mining world. A for Agri world, but what the hell is C? P is for penal....U for Unhabited?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
That's a good point...what if I added a route between Armus and Kittery, and another between Kittery and Butera? That would allow for two parallel paths through the middle of the sub-sector.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:09:18 pm »
Looks good to me.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:38 pm »
That sounds good.

A=agri
P=penal
M=mining
F=forge
H=hive
C=civilized
U=uninhabited

There's a chart that shows what resources you get for each of them at what renown in the BBB. Pg 154
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:12:13 pm »
Okay! Here is the 2nd Draft:

I took the liberty of calling it the Armus Sub-Sector, as I thought it sounded better. I'm not hard-over on that though! As discussed, I added two links between Kittery and other systems, to make two parallel paths across the middle of the map. I shifted the location of the systems some, though, in order to make Kittery feel more isolated (like a Penal Colony should be!). I did that because I think there are some fun narrative possibilities there regarding attackers staging daring strikes through a isolated system.

What do you guys think about having some sort of minor penalty for attacks made out of Kittery? I was thinking along the lines of the attacker losing 100 points off their fleet value or something like that, to represent ships getting lost or separated during a long warp voyage. I don't want it to be too tough or a serious impediment, though. Just a small annoyance ;).

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »
That doesn't sound too bad, there should be some benefit to doing so though. 100 points isn't too bad if you're playing a big fleet battle, but a small raid could be crippling.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:52 pm »
an increase in RPs? Or a +1 on an Appeal?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »
Good point...Maybe say it is 50 points for a raid and 100 points for a battle?

I also like the reward idea..+1 to your appeal roll wouldn't be too horribly unbalanced. And, we can easily fluff-justify it to say that our commanders are being rewarded for their daring tactics or somesuch.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:47:08 pm »
Here is the fancy version!

I've highlighted two strategic straits on here. We talked about the Kittery Reach already:

KITTERY REACH: Due to the isolated nature of Kittery-804 and the increasing Warp disturbances noted in the sub-sector, traveling out of the system has become increasing more difficult. Non-raiding fleets that launch a challenge either into or out ofKittery-804 have the following points penalties: Raid: -50 points; Battle:-100 points. However, the daring nature of a strike from or on Kittery means that such strikes are looked upon favorably as an example of a commander's offensive spirit and tactical accumen. The player who is attacking from Kittery therefore also get +1 to their Appeal roll at the end of a Campaign Turn during which they made an attack from Kittery-804.

THE LOAK PASSAGE: Anchored on one end by the sub-sector's most populous world, Loak's Hub, and by the most productive world, Armus Forge World, on the other, the Loak Passage is a well-established and heavily traveled space lane. Traveling the Loak Passage is relatively low risk, meaning that attacks along it are easier to coordinate. If a player is initiating a battle from one world along the passage to another, they gain +1 to their initiative roll to determine the scenario's Attacker and Defender.

How does all of that sound? Note that the symbols in the lower left of the map will be used to mark who controls what system as the campaign progresses. If you want a different symbol used for your fleet, let me know!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 10:59:45 pm »
I few minor tweaks! I've updated the faction symbols in the lower left, and lightened up the green highlights on the two "special" routes:

What do you think? If you have a different symbol you would like your faction to use, please point me to it and I would be happy to oblige!