Author Topic: Initial Organization Thread  (Read 12664 times)

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Organization Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »
Problem with that Ruck is the damage from the first battle will carry over to the second fight. So I suggest that we do all the steps after a battle. This includes the Renown, but Renown does not take effect until the next 'Turn'. So you would add up all the renown from the first and second battle...make your changes, then do your appeals, refits, and reinforcements.

This way you can repair between battles but not add ships to the rooster. This way your first battle will still have an effect on the second one, just not as large as one, unless you were butchered.

Another option is this.

Roll for initative at the begining of the turn. The two that win get to pick their opponent. In this case if the one who wins wants to attack the next person in the initiative, then they fight and it goes to the next person in line to pick an opponent.

So example...

Player A, B,C,D Roll initiative.
Player C wins, next is B, then D, and finally A.
Player C wants to attack player B. So then that leaves Player D to attack Player A.

Next round the winners of initiative are Player A, C,B,D.
Player A picks Player D to attack, and that leaves player C to attack player B.

This way might be more difficult due to the map however, if the players do not have a warp path to each other. Now this eases up if Dale plays Eldar cause he wont be held to that.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »
Iirc anyone can defend any planet regardless of warp paths, but they cannot control said planet if they win and only get the resource bonus once. I'll have to flip through the campaign rules again on that one.

So are you proposing that resources are "gathered" and repairs made after each game (then presumably reported here for recording)? While things like appeals are done at a set interval?
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
Right andrew. This way you can only gain Renown once, but do not have to worry about a 3rd to half your fleet being low on health and have the opportunity to bring them up on health. I imagine that each turn is actually months if not a year. Plenty of time to repair units between battles.

However appeals and such are handled at the end of the 'turn' with renown so it happens once in a set interval as you said.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:22:45 pm by Ulric the Grey »

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28:21 pm »
That sounds pretty to me reasonable then.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:24 pm »
As I'm going through the Fleet Lists (and not painting Planetfall like I should be) I glanced at my new White Dwarf issue, with the Genestealer Cult. And the thought occurred to me =>
How would Tyranids work in the campaign? Like any other Empire, or do they count as Raiders?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »
As I'm going through the Fleet Lists (and not painting Planetfall like I should be) I glanced at my new White Dwarf issue, with the Genestealer Cult. And the thought occurred to me =>
How would Tyranids work in the campaign? Like any other Empire, or do they count as Raiders?

Per normal I would think... I can't see them setting up a hidden base and making strikes out of it. Maybe a vanguard force though, that might play like a pirate... I'd say just like the Imp/Chaos though for the normal fleet list. I wonder what all would change, their fleet is completely different from the normal fleets as far as leadership and such. It would probably boil down to everyone loosely joining forces to stop the hive fleet.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:37 pm »
Dale I am going to make a recommendation. Do not play as the nids.

Here are my reasonings....

They have different rulesets then a normal fleet and they are built from scratch. So your going to spend more time building them between games then you may have time for.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:33 pm »
I've made a choice...

Andy - Amend me to be running Dark Eldar! Though if no one minds, I'd like to run them as a Harlequin Warhost. Same ships, same rules, but all for the whims of the Laughing God, our raids and pillaging as one Great Dance to honor Kaela Mensha Khaine and the others. I would retitle things appropriately, keeping book names in parentheses - for instance I might call the Despair Class Battleship as a "Sarabande Class Battleship (Despair)". Simply a re-flavoring. :-)
The list would be from the Dark Eldar add-on document, using the Major Kabal Fleet @ 1500pts.
If that would be too confusing, I'll stick to the Dark Eldar background and names instead. Let me know your thoughts.

So your going to spend more time building them between games then you may have time for.
All games are on Vassal, so there's no need to own physical models, correct?

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 12:29:26 am »
Thats fine dale.

As for my comment you quoted, it was in referance to each ship needing you to pick its stats, then add in the point costs... etc. just the admin part would be much higher.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 03:31:21 pm »
Problem with that Ruck is the damage from the first battle will carry over to the second fight. So I suggest that we do all the steps after a battle. This includes the Renown, but Renown does not take effect until the next 'Turn'. So you would add up all the renown from the first and second battle...make your changes, then do your appeals, refits, and reinforcements.

This way you can repair between battles but not add ships to the rooster. This way your first battle will still have an effect on the second one, just not as large as one, unless you were butchered.

Another option is this.

Roll for initative at the begining of the turn. The two that win get to pick their opponent. In this case if the one who wins wants to attack the next person in the initiative, then they fight and it goes to the next person in line to pick an opponent.

So example...

Player A, B,C,D Roll initiative.
Player C wins, next is B, then D, and finally A.
Player C wants to attack player B. So then that leaves Player D to attack Player A.

Next round the winners of initiative are Player A, C,B,D.
Player A picks Player D to attack, and that leaves player C to attack player B.

This way might be more difficult due to the map however, if the players do not have a warp path to each other. Now this eases up if Dale plays Eldar cause he wont be held to that.

I think I see where you are going with that...it makes sense. Honestly though, I'm fine with just going with the rules as written and doing all steps after each battle...we are a small enough and active enough group that I honestly don't anticipate having major issues with one or two players pulling too far ahead. If we do run into that issue, we can figure out something to even up the standings ;). What do you guys think?

I've made a choice...

Andy - Amend me to be running Dark Eldar! Though if no one minds, I'd like to run them as a Harlequin Warhost. Same ships, same rules, but all for the whims of the Laughing God, our raids and pillaging as one Great Dance to honor Kaela Mensha Khaine and the others. I would retitle things appropriately, keeping book names in parentheses - for instance I might call the Despair Class Battleship as a "Sarabande Class Battleship (Despair)". Simply a re-flavoring. :-)
The list would be from the Dark Eldar add-on document, using the Major Kabal Fleet @ 1500pts.
If that would be too confusing, I'll stick to the Dark Eldar background and names instead. Let me know your thoughts.

I think it won't be too confusing. I actually like the idea of proxying a Harlequin fleet using the DE rules! I'll update the first post.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 03:49:19 pm »
we are a small enough and active enough group that I honestly don't anticipate having major issues with one or two players pulling too far ahead. If we do run into that issue, we can figure out something to even up the standings ;). What do you guys think?

Inevitably, I can't keep game pace and fall behind. But it'll probably work with me being a Raider anyways :-) I could see arranging one battle a week online, tops.

I'm more concerned that with such a relatively small map, I really can't keep a base hidden at all... But if we got bigger, then folks have little reason for conflict. Hmmm... I need to do more of a campaign rules deep dive.

I think it won't be too confusing. I actually like the idea of proxying a Harlequin fleet using the DE rules! I'll update the first post.

Cool. I'll at least come up with a translation guide, my fleet list, and LD rolls by Monday.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »
Inevitably, I can't keep game pace and fall behind. But it'll probably work with me being a Raider anyways :-) I could see arranging one battle a week online, tops.

I'm more concerned that with such a relatively small map, I really can't keep a base hidden at all... But if we got bigger, then folks have little reason for conflict. Hmmm... I need to do more of a campaign rules deep dive.

Interestingly, the map I made is larger than many of the official ones in the rule books! I think you are right that the idea is to keep players in close proximity in order to generate conflict.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:29 pm »
This whole thing sounds like a great time. So if there is still time I wouldn't mind joining in but would have to be with me Boyz and all the dakka they can muster.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »
I have no issues with the boyz of Gork and Mork joinning in on the fun.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 08:07:01 pm »
Every campaign needs more dakka! There is no way you can ever 'ave enuff! Consider yourself added to the list on the first post! You will need a 1,500 point list as a raiding faction.