Author Topic: Ottoman Empire test scheme  (Read 1690 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Ottoman Empire test scheme
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:54 am »
Here's my test scheme for my Ottoman fleet. It still needs a wash on just about...everything. I'll do a brown on the hull, a sepia on the superstructure, and a sepia on the tiny flyer.
It obviously needs some touch up with my wild brush work as well.
The most interesting thing for me is the deck. I wanted a neutral color but didn't want to add another layer of brown. So I went with a gray, washed in black, and then "white washed" (per Landlubber's suggestion). It really worked out well for an interesting decking color.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:22:45 pm by Quickdraw »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Ottoman Empire test scheme
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:56 pm »
Looks good, and I'm glad my suggestion for the "white wash" wasn't a bust.

I like the contrast between the lower hull and superstructure. The lower hull looks a little monolithic right now, but I think a wash and maybe (?) a drybrush of a slightly lighter color after the wash will fix that.

The blue accents really look good, especially on the minarets. That color goes well with the color of the superstructure. I was wrong in our conversation yesterday, I guess you do see purple on mosques sometimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mosques_in_Afghanistan#/media/File:Mazar-e_sharif_-_Steve_Evans.jpg

Now that mosque is in Afghanistan, not Turkey, but still.

I couldn't see the flyer until now, it's mounted on the rear gun, right?

Seeing this painted up really makes me like these ships even more. If I get into another DW faction, it may be the Ottomans...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »
Looks like you are off to a good start! I like the blue accents, and the decking. One thing about the wash, though, is that it might darken down the blue accents too much. For the hull, you could try just applying the wash to the hull seams and directly around the gun ports to avoid that, I guess.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:22:21 pm »
Looks good, and I'm glad my suggestion for the "white wash" wasn't a bust.

I like the contrast between the lower hull and superstructure. The lower hull looks a little monolithic right now, but I think a wash and maybe (?) a drybrush of a slightly lighter color after the wash will fix that.

The blue accents really look good, especially on the minarets. That color goes well with the color of the superstructure. I was wrong in our conversation yesterday, I guess you do see purple on mosques sometimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mosques_in_Afghanistan#/media/File:Mazar-e_sharif_-_Steve_Evans.jpg

Now that mosque is in Afghanistan, not Turkey, but still.

I couldn't see the flyer until now, it's mounted on the rear gun, right?

Seeing this painted up really makes me like these ships even more. If I get into another DW faction, it may be the Ottomans...

Thanks Greg! The purple really did not contrast as much with the brown so I think the blue worked best anyways.
The plane is emerging from a hanger on the back. I was thinking about a dark gray but I like how the yellow turned out. It's eye catching but not distracting. Having a sharp contrast for the planes will be nice, it tends to blend in with the ship otherwise.

Looks like you are off to a good start! I like the blue accents, and the decking. One thing about the wash, though, is that it might darken down the blue accents too much. For the hull, you could try just applying the wash to the hull seams and directly around the gun ports to avoid that, I guess.

Ruckdog, that's a good point. Ideally the wash will be applied to avoid the gun port entirely.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:23 pm »
Looking really good so far!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:13 pm »
Thanks! Once I get a little further along with the fleet I'll post some finished pictures in the showcase.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:23 am »
Quickdraw, are you just gluing the minarets on, magnetizing, drilling holes and stickin wires in them (the proper name for that technique escapes me at the moment) or something else entirely?

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:13 am »
Quickdraw, are you just gluing the minarets on, magnetizing, drilling holes and stickin wires in them (the proper name for that technique escapes me at the moment) or something else entirely?

Good question... It was a trial and error process.

The short answer: drilling holes and sticking wires (pinning is what the kids call it these days ;))

The long answer: I knew those suckers would break if I glued them. But I was worried I would not be able to drill precisely enough to make pinning work. So my first thought was magnets. But then I realized that there was no way I could ensure every magnet was sunk/glued straight, which would result in a crooked tower.
So I drilled about 3mm into the minaret and a little more into the resin and then glued it using half a staple as the pin. But before the glue dried I was able to wiggle and prod the minaret so that it stood straight.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:55:32 pm »
Excellent, results speak for themselves.