Author Topic: Ruckdog's HALO Thread  (Read 1426 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Ruckdog's HALO Thread
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:31:41 am »
I have finally gotten the family settled in the new house, which means it's once again time to turn my attention to getting through some of the massive backlog of models I have sitting around!

I've cracked the seal on my HALO box set, and taken a swipe at a couple of test schemes for the UNSC and Covenant:

For the UNSC, I primed in grey, did a little "patchwork" with a few different shades of grey, put on a black wash, and then gave it a light drybrush with light grey and then white.

The Coveneant scheme is based heavily off of what Quickdraw did with his Covenant ships; primed white, purple wash, metallic highlights.

I'm pretty happy with how they look, but I'd always appreciate some feed back. I plan on moving ahead with mass production this week!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Ruckdog's HALO Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:12:03 am »
Looking good Ruck, can't wait to see the finished fleets.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:26:06 pm »
I like how dark the UNSC turned out. They look good.
Great work on the covenant too! Appreciate the nod, it worked well for you.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:37:09 am »
The UNSC looks really good! I'm not sold on the covies personally, the wash looks a little splotchy (as washes will, though it could just be the lighting creating bright spots) and it seems pretty light in color (personal preference again). I would play around with some light purples over the white before washing it just to darken it up some and hopefully cut down on some of the blotches, but if you like it that's really what it's all about. 
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »
I'm not sold on the covies personally, the wash looks a little splotchy (as washes will, though it could just be the lighting creating bright spots) and it seems pretty light in color (personal preference again). I would play around with some light purples over the white before washing it just to darken it up some and hopefully cut down on some of the blotches, but if you like it that's really what it's all about.

Yeah, that is something that Quickdraw has also mentioned about the "wash on white" technique. I think that no matter what I do, it will never look completely even using this method. However, I think I can improve upon it a bit with some practice and perhaps by changing the type of wash I'm using. We'll see! The main draw for me is that while it may not look spectacular, it atleast looks good (better than unpainted plastic anyway!) and is VERY easy to do. Since these ships are going to be, at best, a tertiary game for me, I'm not anxious to put a ton of time into them :).

Anyway, I'm making progress! All of the UNSC ships are assembled and ready for priming:

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
Personally I like the "splotchy" look. It makes me think of a mottled camouflage on the ships...in my mind, I imagine the Covenant have some sort of low-power energy field around the ship and those "splotches" move around in random patterns, like a living organism.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama