Author Topic: Trek Discovery  (Read 815 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Trek Discovery
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:08:10 pm »
The trailer has been out, and while Paramount/CBS is still mishandling things, this IS recognizably Trek. At least I'm excited about it.

But I was reading reactions over on Total Fan Girl ( https://www.facebook.com/TotalFanGirl/ ) and some other spots, and it's so overwhelmingly negative, judgemental, and above all ... ENTITLED.
Now I think I despise current Fandom. Or at least I'm horribly depressed by them, especially the guy complaining there's not enough white males.

If Trek dies, its because the fans didn't deserve it anymore...

I'm beginning to understand Davro's point of view:
https://youtu.be/dkelV2WUNdw
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:23:45 pm by Dakkar »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Trek Discovery
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »
Lotta whining on that Facebook page to be sure.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:27:45 am »
This is when me "old man mode" kicks in ...
"In my day, we were lucky to have something like BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, and we LIKED it!"

Any Trek can be good Trek if given a chance to grow. And lets face it, today's fans would've shrugged off Next Gen or DS9 into cancellation if they were this picky over those first two seasons of each.

My worst frustration is the Axanar Purists, who won't watch this new Trek because Paramount was mean to a fan film. Yes, we all know Paramount and CBS are idiot jerks. But arguing against more official Trek due to less unofficial Trek is the height of the whole "nose spiting face" thing.

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:48:17 pm »
I agree that any professionally done Trek (or any other good Sci-fi) is a win for the community. I can't believe a few fans with out of joint noses will dictate the fate of the series.

On the bright side, Dark Matters and Killjoys are starting back up soon.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »
Just watched the trailer. Looks interesting. I will try almost any new sci-fi or fantasy material just to support the genre. Seems to me to be much more of a prequel series to the JJ Abrams rebooted universe (or is it a parallel universe? I'm not sure) instead of a prequel to the original series, if that makes any sense.

I watched via YouTube, and some of the comments were...well, internet comments. There were a couple of points made about how the technology looks out of place (it does when compared to TOS, but not the Abrams-verse) and about the Klingons looking different. But, that's what happens when you make a prequel series 50 years after the original source material was filmed.

Prequels seems to be all the rage right now, but they don't always work, in my humble opinion. Makes me wonder why CBS is going with a story set before the original series in the Trek timeline. I mean...Starfleet is huge, right? As is the Federation, right? I'm sure there was other stuff going on while the Enterprise (A-D) was out doing stuff, right?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:26:59 pm by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 01:24:10 pm »
Well, that's one way to look at it. Then again, both Voyager and DS9 were clearly "rest of the Federation" stories, and they were a bit of a mixed bag IMO.

What I really want to see is a proper series about the USS Enterprise. Not the awkward and re-warmed story telling of Star Trek: Enterprise, mind you, but an honest to goodness Star Trek show that starts with the classic flyby with "These are the voyages..." being spoken over the Courage theme. A Next Next Generation, if you will.