Author Topic: Miniature Storage & Transport  (Read 2748 times)

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Miniature Storage & Transport
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:12:58 pm »
So my dreams of getting Battlefoam for everything I own will require (at least) winning a small Powerball jackpot.
 Think "I want to protect my well assembled, nicely painted miniatures", as I have had several transportation fails.  I do like the idea of separating each unit from others so they don't touch but that obviously comes at a cost.

What cheap/creative storage/transport solutions y'all are using.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Storage & Transport
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:04:38 pm »
For naval models you can use the same method as modern 28mm gamers.
Sink a magnet or two in the bottom, put a sheet of thin metal in a shallow tub, and stick em in there.
For space models you can do a similar thing but you might have to be creative with your clear bases.
You can a bag of cheap rare earth magnets online for almost nothing.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:30:10 pm »
I’ve seen plenty of folks use rifle and pistol cases for minis, and they seem to work well. You can usually get them for pretty cheap online or in clearance sales at sporting goods stores. I have one that holds my Imperial Navy Fleet for BFG!

You can also get bulk eggcrate foam in rolls and use it to line containers to protect minis. I’ve done this as well. I’ve even gone so far as to make a series of trays out of scrap cardboard to stack inside a plastic tote. The egg foam was great for lining the inside of those cardboard trays ;)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:38:48 pm »
Well...you need to paint them first.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:19:12 am »
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »
Looking for foam trays that will fit this

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Storage-Solutions/Travel-Luggage-Box?Id=12231

If you really want to keep a low budget, you could always make your own trays out of some cardboard or posterboard and use the bulk foam I mentioned above to line them.

If you are looking for a ready made solution, Battlefoam sells "Shiled/spear" foam trays that are 14.25"x 10.25". You should be able to sqeeze two of these trays side by side inside that cardboard box (the extra .25" is a concern compared to the 14" width of the box, but the foam should be flexible enough to fit in):

https://us.battlefoam.com/shield-spear-foam-trays-14-25w-x-10-25l/

These are apparently based on the size of the old Games Workshop foam trays, so if you can find some of that GW foam somewhere (eBay?) that could work too. The other option might be to buy custom foam trays from BF or someone else that does them (I'm sure BF would be happy to cut foam trays the exact dimensions of your box), but that would get a bit pricy I'm sure.

One final note, BF is also selling similar cardboard boxes to the one you linked to from U-haul, though at a smaller size that matches the standard BF foam tray size:

https://us.battlefoam.com/battle-foam-eco-box-standard-load-out/

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »
Well...you need to paint them first.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

ouch...   :(

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »
Thanks for the ideas folks, keep them coming.  I'll start exploring these options.

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:53:43 am »
I am using KR-Multicase cardboard boxes with foam trays - that seems to be a bit more aafordable than Battlefoam & Co and there are tons of options available (both for box sizes and for trays)

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 02:13:09 pm »
I am using KR-Multicase cardboard boxes with foam trays - that seems to be a bit more aafordable than Battlefoam & Co and there are tons of options available (both for box sizes and for trays)

Those look interesting as well.  Thanks for this one too.

KazadHarri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:53 am »
I second KR multi case.  I moved from the US to Germany a couple a years ago, and most of all of my storage and shipping solutions ended in disaster except stuff that was in Battle Foam and KR.  So I am trying to change over to that style before the move back.  It all also depends it you are just taking stuff across town, or across the country.  /Jeff

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:35 am »
The Really Useful Box set I've found good, as they stack well, decent handles and plenty of space.  However you then have to cut out the foam yourself.  http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

KazadHarri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 03:11:15 am »
One question I am debating is; if you are using foam trays do you want you minitures to sit flat.  Especially if they are based, or on their sides?  So they don't bounce up and down.  I think that is what happened to my ships in the move.  Destroying many masts. 

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 10:27:30 am »
One question I am debating is; if you are using foam trays do you want you minitures to sit flat.  Especially if they are based, or on their sides?  So they don't bounce up and down.  I think that is what happened to my ships in the move.  Destroying many masts.

First, I’m sorry to hear you had so many problems in your move. That’s really unfortunate!

Now, when it comes to historical models with delicate features like masts, thin gun barrels, etc, I think being stored straight up and down is the way to go. At that point, it may even be worth forgoing the foam option altogether and moving on to magnetized storage!

KazadHarri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 08:11:55 am »
I have some figures magnetized but most my WHFB Dwarfs- Hence Kazad Harri.  But I am converting most of my ships to clear bases.  Like in the painting contest ones.  So that won't work.  I have thought about some steel (piano wire) rod going through the foam and at the front and rear of the base to maybe hold them down,  If that was really the cause.