Author Topic: Obscure Games  (Read 5035 times)

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Obscure Games
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:24:27 pm »
I have definitely seen other gamers argue in other places around the internet that simplicity is bad and complexity is good.

For those people, my go-to curse is that they have to play FASA's old INTERCEPTOR game, flow charts and all. ;-)

I once saw someone describe FSA as "Baby's first starship explosions."

If they think FSA is too simple, I wonder what they usually play. 20 volume SFB? Saganami Tac Sim? The original Babylon 5 Wars?

Ha!  Dale, I was going to say the same thing.  Playing full on Star Fleet Battles, with tons of optional rules, as a tween and teen, now THAT was complex.  We complain that a 1000 point FSA battle takes 4+ hours.  Try a cruiser and a frigate on each side in SFB...

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure Games
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:13 pm »
That brought back nightmares. Full on SFB made me consider giving up on gaming and start getting root canals without anesthetic for a hobby. :P

Saganami was virtually incomprehensible as well and I watched the author explain it at Origins one year but, for shear brutal complexity, nothing beats the Challenger 2000 modern rules although Seekreig V is a runner up.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:21 pm »
OK, now I'm thinking we need to have an "Obscure Ruleset Games Day" where we sit down and play through these old rules systems. I've never seen any of these games played, only heard about them from you guys.

Or maybe we'd need a whole weekend?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:51:59 pm »
OK, now I'm thinking we need to have an "Obscure Ruleset Games Day" where we sit down and play through these old rules systems. I've never seen any of these games played, only heard about them from you guys.

If you end up having such a day it would make good fodder for the Podcast ;).

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »

A long day at least. I sold off my SFB stuff and other old systems ages ago. About the only thing left is B5-Call to Arms, which isn't much more complex than FSA.
I'm sure I could rustle up someone to lend SFB and Full Thrust rules, maybe even Silent Death.
Stephan has B5 Wars, but we'd spend 3 hrs just figuring out how to turn a Minbari ship.
I don't know anyone with Saganami or some of the others.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:47 pm »
I've got my Federation Commander (simpler SFB, and actually quite fun) and Sky Galleons of Mars for an obscure game day.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:12:34 pm »
I have a Sky Galleons of Mars somewhere and here in Colorado Springs there is a group still playing it (it is actually a great game). I saw a really clever setup at the Haven Anniversary.

For obscure adjacent, I could also reference General Quarters I and II. Again, great game but now 30+ years old. I could run one of those in a heartbeat.

To relearn SFB might be traumatic for many. Fed Commander can at least be played to conclusion by Humans.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
Fed Commander can at least be played to conclusion by Humans.

Concur. That's really the only recent incarnation I've tolerated in past decade plus.

And I'm all about Sky Galleons, I miss my copy. If we play at the Haven, we can get Suzanne (formerly Stu) to play as well.

If talking old obscure and nigh unplayable, this was the FIRST Space combat game I had (though more of a 4X):
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2743/starfall

Then the FASA game came along...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3040/star-trek-starship-tactical-combat-simulator

zorper

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »
Or how about Star Force Alpha Centauri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starforce:_Alpha_Centauri).  Why not go full 3D on a 2D map on your first space game?

I would love to play some Sky Galleons.  I'm up in Littleton, so if you give me a few weeks notice I can dust off (20+ years of dust) my copy and head on down.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:40 pm »
Sky Galleons of Mars?
I'm pretty sure Greg was talking about playing that at Genghis...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:32 pm »
No, it was Space: 1889, which I think is a different but possibly similar game.

I'd be up for trying any of the above.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

zorper

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:06:41 pm »
I'm about 99.9% sure Sky Galleons of Mars is the same as Space 1889.  Unless you are talking about the Space 1889 hex based ground combat game, which I'm pretty sure nobody ever actually played.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:10:54 pm by zorper »

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:25 pm »
I'm about 99.9% sure Sky Galleons of Mars is the same as Space 1889.  Unless you are talking about the Space 1889 hex based ground combat game, which I'm pretty sure nobody ever actually played.

Ship-wise, same game, same world

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »

A long day at least. I sold off my SFB stuff and other old systems ages ago. About the only thing left is B5-Call to Arms, which isn't much more complex than FSA.
I'm sure I could rustle up someone to lend SFB and Full Thrust rules, maybe even Silent Death.
Stephan has B5 Wars, but we'd spend 3 hrs just figuring out how to turn a Minbari ship.
I don't know anyone with Saganami or some of the others.

Still got most/all of the SFB stuff, plus Fed Commander (much easier and quicker, Todd can vouch), Full Thrust and B5 Wars/Call to Arms.  Got Silent Death rulebook but have never played.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:55 pm »
Starfire can be fun too.  As small a battle or as big as you want.