Poll

How often are new releases required to keep a game "fresh" and keep the player base enthused?

Monthly
0 (0%)
Quarterly
8 (80%)
Every 6 Months
0 (0%)
Once a year
2 (20%)
New releases?! Who needs that?! I'm still playing BFG/B5 ACTA/etc.
0 (0%)
Other (please describe below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: February 28, 2017, 10:22:35 pm

Author Topic: MBS Monthly Poll #9  (Read 2961 times)

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Monthly Poll #9
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
Even more egregious are the guys who find a Spam-skewed force (or read about it), run out and buy 10 Griffons or whatever, and then demand refunds when the previously broken skew gets nerfed back to normal balance.

I almost sprayed the keyboard reading that  ;)

The howls of nerfed power gamers are one of the funnier gaming tropes I encounter.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:52 am »
I think you make a good point about rules updates Dale!

Often we think that the most important thing for a company to update is the models. We always want new models. Just as important are consistent rules updates. I take that into account when looking for quarterly updates.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 10:31:10 am »

As I think about it, Spartan could go a HUGE way back on track if they'd resume those fairly regular PDF updates again. We haven't had a significant FSA or P-Fall update in what feels like aeons.

I think the last FSA update was back in the fall timeframe, IIRC, so we are definitely due for another!

I think you make a good point about rules updates Dale!

Often we think that the most important thing for a company to update is the models. We always want new models. Just as important are consistent rules updates. I take that into account when looking for quarterly updates.

Quarterly seems about right for rules updates and FAQs, even if they are small balance tweaks. For games with a smaller "sample size" for player feedback like Spartan, I don't think you could do it much more frequently than that. PP and GW have the benefit of a much larger player base and a consequently much larger tournament scene.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
Rule updates and balancing every month or two would be brilliant, especially if you could happen on a set date, 5th for example, each time.  That way it would be easier for regular and organised play groups.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:36 pm »
especially if you could happen on a set date,

This.
One major pain for Tourney organizers is always the errata/update that drops a few days before your event, and then half want to use it while the other half of players hadn't even heard about it.

A set date would make it very easy to plan around that scenario.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 11:40:26 pm »
So going with Spartan, in case they're listening, they could do quarterly reviews for each of they're games, with each IP spaced a month apart for convenience.  Set the release for the 15th of each month, which should avoid any major holidays in the english speaking world and give Ruckdog and Landlubber a chance to review them between podcasts.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 11:47:53 am »
So going with Spartan, in case they're listening, they could do quarterly reviews for each of they're games, with each IP spaced a month apart for convenience.  Set the release for the 15th of each month, which should avoid any major holidays in the english speaking world and give Ruckdog and Landlubber a chance to review them between podcasts.

Thanks for thinking of us!  ;)

Seriously though, I like the idea of having a release schedule that is that regular. It would certainly put Spartan on a different level from its competition if they were able to pull off something like that. It seems like logistical issues (production delays, shipping delays, etc) are the bane of just about every gaming company out there.

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
 i like my new stuff to be well spaced , it gives people time to bed in the newer stuff into the way they play before anything comes along,  also i think you can end up losing players who don't get to  game often   and find them selves behind in the game 
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Sailion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 03:18:51 pm »
Choose quartly as think gives enough time to work on things and time to save. As much as monthly is nice, sometimes cant get it at the time and maybe for somegames putting out too much, too soon.

Honestly notsure really.
World of warships: Sailion (EU)

Firestorm armada:
- Directorate
- Hawker industries, Ryushi & Terquai
- Works Raptor
- Syndicate

Dystopian wars:
- Denmark
- Polish & Lithuian
- French
- Italians