Author Topic: Oroshan wip  (Read 2883 times)

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Oroshan wip
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:40 am »
Well finally getting around to slapping some paint on the Armageddon. Same basics as with my Slayers from over a year ago  :-X. Dirty yellow hull with gunmetal trim and purple, lots of purple. Orangish yellow engines and glow... sort of.

My work so far on the rear engines and under wing.... Ya I'm going to call those engines too (Star Trek Impulse style...?) , very light glow cast over the hull (not really noticeable) and the gunmetal areas (bit more noticeable, but still not by much). You can also see my new attempt at the purple glow on the very rear engines/exhaust?, I'm much happier with this then on the Slayer's front "grills?". I'm also practicing my blending which can be seen on the purple accent hull stripes.

The front shot you can see I'm still working on how to get the blend down on the front hull accent panels and the 'gunmetal' could use a bit more highlighting and touch up. You can also see I've done the glass domes in red, similar to the sensors on the front of the Slayers.  Once I get all of that sorted I just need to figure out my writing style for them and I'm going to try and free hand their logo in that gaping circle indention behind the forward towers.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Oroshan wip
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:01 pm »
That looks great!  I went a slightly different way with mine.  Sadly, the clear coat frosted on me for some reason and it's been hell trying to fix it.  After the success using purple wash on my Aquans, I think I'm going to repaint the engines from blue to purple.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »
Great work on both ships!  Stephan, I really like the red detail in the panel lines.  Makes it look like there is some energy source right under the surface of the ship.

Andrew--that paint scheme makes the ship look ancient, like a remnant of a past civilization.  Very cool.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »
Frost can sometimes be fixed with another coat of gloss over the model.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:16 pm »
Thanks Creon.  I'll try that after updating the engine color.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:55 pm »
Thanks guys. Stephen wow, love the red effects.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »
An old trick I discovered.  Take a bright metallic like Platinum and then paint over with Tamiya Clear Red (or Orange, Green, or Yellow depending on taste).

Here's how bright it was before my little frosting incident.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:41 am »
Very nice! I know it wasn't the intended look, but I almost like the frosted version better (at least in pictures).

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:18:03 pm »
Stephan, the more times I see your Oroshan, the more I like the paint scheme.  Not something one would expect, but in my mind's eye, seeing it on the big screen, flying in like a Star Destroyer in the first scene of Star Wars, looks very imposing and menacing.

Andrew, great job on the (cannon) paint job.

I gotta get me one of them dreadnoughts...