Author Topic: US Carrier Doctrine  (Read 2201 times)

Danaussie

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
US Carrier Doctrine
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:09:00 am »
Its been an amazing past couple of years for me guys, there has been so many disruptions that I thought I would never be able to dedicate any more time to the thing I loved doing best, "Breathing Life" into naval wargames miniatures. Its funny how life goes sometimes, but at last I have been able to make my triumphant return, and although I am anxious about the reception I will get from the wargaming community after being absent for so long....here I am.

I have been so happy to see some new forums pop up and be able to join in and talk about what I like to talk about the most "panting". There are some fabulous artists around, guys that show so much talent I can keep entertained for hour just soaking it all up. Man Battlestations has proved no different in this respect, although I must admit I am not much of a Sci-Fi fan there are some terrific models of these to be found here. Some of the GHQ stuff though is just bloody awesome if I may say so, and its great to meet some of you artists that I already know and meet some new ones.

If we were all to meet in person....well....lets just say we wouldnt get much sleep, for all the talking we would be doing.

But onto my latest projects, sheesh....its been busy I tell ya, starting up my online store has been very time consuming but its something I have been wanting to do for quite some time only I never had the confidence to take on such a thing, my wife and kids have been great in this respect to helping me to get out there and show the world my work.

My latest projects have been all trying to complete the last 2 models that belong to a few of my very closest friends, both are US Carriers and both have been quite difficult none more so than the USS Saratoga in her 32.11A Measure, when my buddy said he wanted the ship painted in this scheme, I said a few profain words to myself. I had painted this ship one time before and hated it. Its a beautiful design but on a 3D object extremely hard to paint. I feel it is coming along nicely, and it should be ready for photographing by tomorrow, just finishing up her final hi-lights now and will add the deck lines in the morning. I'm much happier with the second go at this one, and in truth if it were not going to one of the best painters in the world I probably would not have spent "as" much time on her.

The second of the carriers is the USS Enterprise, a ship that every American expects perfection out of....hehehe. Just kidding, I can understand why, she certainly put in an amazing contribution to the war and certainly deserves her high profile. This ship is being done in her pre-war early war scheme, my client wanted the flight deck to be wood and so thats what he is getting. A very special friend in the wargaming community, I hope he will be happy with this one. This ship is due out of the shipyards the day following the Saratoga, so pics will be coming guys.

Well thats it for now I think, I'm gonna have a bit more of a look around at what all the other guys are up to.

Cheers guys :) :) :)

Dan

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: US Carrier Doctrine
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:42 am »
I love to hear good praise about the Big E regardless of the style of vessel that bears the name.  I served on the CVN for a time in 2001 and It was an amazing sight to be on the beach and see her off the coast of Spain and France.  Its something I look back on with tremendous pride, as I'm sure does anyone else that has crossed her deck.  I look forward to seeing your completed work and to the next reincarnation of Enterprise.

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:04 pm »
I love to hear good praise about the Big E regardless of the style of vessel that bears the name.  I served on the CVN for a time in 2001 and It was an amazing sight to be on the beach and see her off the coast of Spain and France.  Its something I look back on with tremendous pride, as I'm sure does anyone else that has crossed her deck.  I look forward to seeing your completed work and to the next reincarnation of Enterprise.

Stitch

Ah, the Big E...she's sitting just down the Norfolk waterfront from my ship right now. I'm glad the  SECNAV has already decleared we are naming another CVN after her.

Hee hee, Dan, from the thread title I came here all geared up to discuss WW II US carrier operations! Oh well, I'm still looking forward to seeing your finished products. That's cool news about your store...do you have a link? I'd love to check it out.

RandomBrit

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »
yeah she's across from us, its sad to see the inside though, she's been stripped well down.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:16 pm »
yeah she's across from us, its sad to see the inside though, she's been stripped well down.

That's a real shame, I wish the funding was available to make her a museum but even that fate would have been sad.  Sitting at a pier and not letting her sail, kind'a goes against nature doesn't it?

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.