Author Topic: Aquan idea  (Read 1344 times)

DonWade

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Aquan idea
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:30:08 am »
A buddy of mine that went half in on the Overseers box is getting out of FSA ( :( ) so I took his Aquans off his hands.  I was flipping through the Kurak fleet guide and am using the following image for inspiration.

A little time with the airbrush and this is what I came up with.  It's only a first attempt and I don't like the transition from Brown to white to purple. It'll take a little more doing.  I also think I need to work from a darker brown to lighter.

I have some HS Stencils from Anarchy Models and plan on using the Mottled stencil (it's a bendy plastic instead of a stick on type) once everything is good and dried up.

The first attempt did not go well.  After matte vanishing the model and waiting 12 hours laying the stencil against the model simply stripped the paint off.  Into the Simple Green she goes!  I'll have to try gloss then matte coating and wait a full 24 before trying to apply the stencil.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Aquan idea
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:31:18 am »
I like the direction  you are heading in...I've thought about doing similar things if I ever start an Aquan fleet. Sucks that the mask pulled off your paint...did it take off the primer too? If so, what primer are you using? I've had spotty luck with getting white primers to adhere to Spartan resin.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:08:21 am »
This will definitely be a cool fleet. I've always had ideas to paint an Aquan fleet to look like various types of trout...
Bummer on the stencil, like Ruckdog I've had issues with primer sticking to Spartans resin. I've started washing my models in a diluted simple green instead of just soapy water and it tends to help. Maybe after you strip it the paint will stick better.

DonWade

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:45:55 pm »
I normally use Vallejo airbrush primer but these came primed from my buddy.  Not sure which kind but it's slightly grainy so I'm thinking probably GW rattle can.  P3 is normally smoother than this.

He didn't bother removing much flash or mold lines so I've been doing some filing and scraping and throwing down a layer of Vallejo white primer over the other one.

Hoping that this is really just a matter of not waiting long enough and not using a gloss coat.  So far none of my Terrans, which I've moved much slower with due to assembly line painting vs one mini at a time, have lost any paint...even the ones that aren't sealed yet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:43:06 pm by DonWade »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:34:05 am »
Could be Army Painter too; I tried their white primer, and wasn't impressed.