Author Topic: Chipping Away...  (Read 4954 times)

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Chipping Away...
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:35:11 pm »
Chipping Away...

Finally moved into the new place and getting settled. So figured I'd get to work on some of the old projects and new goodies.

"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chipping Away...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:59:41 pm »
Kind of hitting a wall on this one. Copper may be reaching overload levels... Will see how the clean up and washes go, before the details.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:25:46 am by Last Rites »

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »
Taking a break from the CV to complete her court

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »
Well my pot of Agarax Earthshade was only half gone before it went bad...Still was able to get some "decent" wash work done.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »
That KoB carrier looks like an incredibly complex model. Yours looks great, I really like the markings on the ends of the flight deck. And I like the different colors for the aircraft. Nice work!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:39:37 pm »
That KoB carrier looks like an incredibly complex model. Yours looks great, I really like the markings on the ends of the flight deck. And I like the different colors for the aircraft. Nice work!

Thanks! Yeah the model has several parts to it. Then i went and added on some extra bits to elevate the flight deck. Don't know how much of a success that move was just yet. The marking on the deck still need to be straightened out a bit but i like them as well. So far there are base coats on all the SAS tokens to match those on the deck. Next steps are to finish the markings on them. Not sure which pattern to go with though. Suggestions on that or anything else on the models are always welcome! Anyone know how to apply decals?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 11:17:15 am »
Get some Testors decal applicant/solution, really helps them go on better, there are directions on the label of the bottle. Also, suggest you use a VERY small pair of scissors. I use a soft-bristle brush to coax the decal off the backing sheet and onto the model...this is where the Testors stuff comes in handy, I think it makes the decal easier to move around.

And, of course, you'll need a good deal of patience, and I would suggest you have multiples of the same decal.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »
Definitely double up on the amount of decals you think you'll need!
Nothing worse then a decal tearing in half and trying to splice it back together because it's the last one.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Thanks for the heads up! I'll order a couple more packs before digging in. Good call on the testors solution as well. Anything that gives a lil more time will be needed. Thanks!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:21 pm »
Thanks for the heads up! I'll order a couple more packs before digging in. Good call on the testors solution as well. Anything that gives a lil more time will be needed. Thanks!

Testors isn't the only manufacture either, so keep that in mind Microsol, Vallejo, and probably a few others are available out there. In general, you are going to have two types of decal solutions. Both have their place, and you might end up using both depending on the application:

Decal Set: Adds some extra "stick" to adhere the decal to the model.

Decal Solvent: "Softens" the decal by chemically attacking the backing sheet. This allows it to form to the contour of the surface it is placed on. This goes a long way towards making decal markings look like they are painted on, but it also makes them much more delicate after application. You will definitely want to seal the model after using this!

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »
What kind of decals are you going to use?  And where do you get yours from?  Might this be a topic for another thread?

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 06:40:25 am »
Thanks for the info Ruck! Going to swing by E&E to see if they have these solutions. Maybe if I fancy up the models a bit they will actually produce some hits... ::)

These are the decals I picked up:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product87136.html

They are super tiny, but I think will still work. Plan is to designate squadrons based on model size and type. Since I don't have any repeat squads I think they may work. Appreciate all the help!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 09:14:48 am »
What kind of decals are you going to use?  And where do you get yours from?  Might this be a topic for another thread?

Excellent idea...I'll try to get this put together soon.

Thanks for the info Ruck! Going to swing by E&E to see if they have these solutions. Maybe if I fancy up the models a bit they will actually produce some hits... ::)

These are the decals I picked up:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product87136.html

They are super tiny, but I think will still work. Plan is to designate squadrons based on model size and type. Since I don't have any repeat squads I think they may work. Appreciate all the help!

Flames of War decals are actually pretty good...I've used them on several of my DW models with good results!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
Well Black Friday didn't yield any more models (X Wing figures, yes, but they are painted), but did get several more decals. Pumped to get to them, but lots more resin to cover before getting to decalpalooza.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 07:44:16 pm »
Nice, I saw a lot of good deals on Xwing stuff, but I'm still holding off on making the jump (I'm sure my wife appreciates that too!). You know there are a lot of really good repaints on the Internet of those models, you know if you ever finish everything else and get bored! :D
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.