Poll

How important is it for a naval game to have a connection to a ground combat game?

It's a must-have!
1 (7.1%)
It's important, but not a deal-breaker.
1 (7.1%)
It's a nice to have.
5 (35.7%)
It doesn't matter to me if a naval game has a ground component or not.
7 (50%)
Other (please specify).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 31, 2017, 05:00:22 pm

Author Topic: MBS Monthly Poll #15  (Read 1863 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Monthly Poll #15
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:00:22 pm »
This month's poll  is all about the connections between ground combat and naval combat games! For example, Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander, or Firestorm Armada and Firestorm Planetfall. Having a ground component or tie-in for a naval game makes for great campaign opportunities, but how important is that to all of you, and why or why not?

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Monthly Poll #15
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:02:41 am »
If there's no "amphibious" landing is it even relevant? Campaign opportunities are nice, but it has to be a really solid connection to matter at all. 
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:19 pm »
I expect rules for shore batteries, land based air and amphibious operations but once those forces are 'feet dry', there are plenty of rule sets available for all periods.

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »
I expect rules for shore batteries, land based air and amphibious operations but once those forces are 'feet dry', there are plenty of rule sets available for all periods.

Visions of putting Advanced Squad Leader together with Seekrieg V. Possibly one of my more insane ideas...  ;D

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:31 am »
invasions are  some of the must important bits of a war/campaign game they give a reason for ships to be fighting other that to just control the seas / void so its nice to have a link , it makes you think of tactics you don't normally bother with eg do I send a fleet off to some place out of the way to distract  from my invasion force and if so how hard do I want them to fight how many can I afford to lose when I may need them later to reinforce the main force   
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »
I am not against it but usually the scales and focus are so different that it is like trying to breed a St. Bernard with a Jack Russell.
Even you have a big campaign going the land and sea components might not interact directly even if the sea campaign can have a huge influence on the land one by, for example, interdicting supplies or reinforcements.

In an SF game if your enemy gets to control orbital space then you are in big trouble,  rocks will fall from heaven, unless you have things like deep sested meson guns or shields depending on the setting.

Steamlord78

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:16:31 pm »
It is a nice thing to make use of for campaign games. But the lack of rules to tie them together means it really doesn't matter.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »
Can I change my vote, this just became a lot more important to me
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 10:29:43 pm »
Can I change my vote, this just became a lot more important to me

You should be able to change it now 😉

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 03:00:01 am »
My best friend, the man who introduced me to miniatures actually, is moving close by at the end of the year.  While I prefer naval games, he prefers skirmish games, so a close tie in is the best chance for us to both enjoy a game. 
Tacitus

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01:22 pm »

Visions of putting Advanced Squad Leader together with Seekrieg V. Possibly one of my more insane ideas...  ;D

This is the game that nevers ends!  It goes on and on my friends!  Some people started playing it not knowing what it was, and they kept on playing it playing just because.  It is the game that never ends. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing