Author Topic: DW 3.0 Event Planning Discussion  (Read 996 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
DW 3.0 Event Planning Discussion
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:38:55 am »
Now that 3.0 is REALLY on its way, I figured it would be fun to start a thread where we can brainstorm and trade notes on planning events for our local clubs and stores (this is distinct from the Mega Thread, which is focused on news and announcements from WC about game releases).

So, I think in the short term, there is going to be a fair bit of demo work to be done; having the game out  on a table, showing folks how the rules work, etc. Just getting the game out there and in front of people. This is something that should be easily accomplished with just the contents of the 2-player set, but those of us with older models will have the opportunity to use them for increased visual interest.

As more ships and fleets become available, the door will open for leagues, tournaments, and event games. In general I'm thinking this stage will be better off being done later in 2021, when (hopefully) there will be 4-6 fleets in circulation and COVID will (also hopefully) be under control.

Me personally, I'm looking to start demos in my local area once I get my box set and have it looking presentable, and as the COVID restrictions I'm under are relaxed. As things sit right now, I'm guessing that is going to be around February or March.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: DW 3.0 Event Planning Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:49:06 am »
If the narrative in the box is the Markov's escape might be worth thinking about some admiral models and terrain pieces to represent what is going on.  Maybe an Antarctican outpost on fire along the ice coast side, to represent the chaos caused by Markov's traitors.   

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:40 pm »
Anyone have a good tutorial for building icebergs  and walls of ice?

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
If you have the correct tools then this method is a breeze

https://miniaturemarauder.com/how-to-make-ice-terrain/

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:01:37 am »
Mel the Terrain Tutor has a video on modeling ice that is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xph0XI6nV4M

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of knocking together some really nice icy terrain to use during demos!