Author Topic: DW 3.0 Pre-Launch Discussion MEGA THREAD  (Read 14557 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: DW 3.0 Pre-Launch Discussion MEGA THREAD
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 01:05:18 pm »
WC has also posted the assembly instructions:

https://www.dystopianwars.co.uk/building-instructions

Looks like the sprue can build 1 frigate and one of 4 different cruiser variants:

Heavy
Light
Fast
Monitor

Of course it is tough to say without having the physical article in my hands, but assembly on these looks pretty straightforward.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 03:39:45 pm »

So one sprue makes basically two models? And you need at least three of each for a squadron?

That means you need at least three sprues for two full squadrons, leaving over a mass of parts for units you can't make due to one part (The deck of the cruiser, it appears) being supplied only ONCE per sprue.

That . . . Does not sound economical at all for customers.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 05:11:09 pm »
Depends on the cost of the sprue I suppose. 

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 05:14:11 pm »
Hard to say on the economics part, since we haven't seen pricing yet. I suspect though that prices will be fairly competitive with other plastic minis. For example, TTG is getting 20GBP for a pack of two UCM cruiser sprues:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/dropfleet-commander/products/ucm-cruiser-box

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pack of two of these sprues going for 15GBP +/- 5GBP.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 06:48:15 am »
So we have the reveal on the turrets so far.  The heavy gun turrets that look like railguns, the rocket launcher that looks like a mortar, and 'tri-railgun'.  The turrets seem the weakest links so far in these models. 

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 09:11:51 am »
What I dislike are the proportions on the vessels. Especially between the length of the hull snd the size of the superstructure. Its not too bad on the larger vessels but the frigates look like chibi models

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2020, 04:56:31 am »
What I dislike are the proportions on the vessels. Especially between the length of the hull and the size of the superstructure. Its not too bad on the larger vessels but the frigates look like chibi models

That's fair. It's certainly ore pronounced that the Spartan Russians. But then I know some people who love the new frigates because they aren't round like the old ones.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2020, 03:08:31 pm »
So the starter set has been revealed.  I would like a closer look at the Covenant plastics, because I find the weird hood sections at the back off putting, and I'd like to know the weapons systems.  https://trade.warcradle.com/dystopian-wars-hunt-for-the-prometheus-english-dwa990005.html?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:50:47 pm by RuleBritannia »

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2020, 03:23:39 pm »
So the starter set has been revealed.  I would like a closer look at the Covenant plastics, because I find the weird hood sections at the back off putting, and I'd like to know the weapons systems.  https://trade.warcradle.com/dystopian-wars-hunt-for-the-prometheus-english-dwa990005.html?fbclid=IwAR1iPmMGJkUYp_1VskJ5LMWBREquwAvTn7epIReTacjRV4RgXp8s80rDZ1M

Just so you know, that fbclid at the end of the URL is a Facebook tracking ID. Since so many people block ad trackers in their browser, Facebook started adding these to URLs as an additional way to track people.

You should do everyone a favour and remove them from URLs you post online

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2020, 07:57:19 pm »
 Rule Britannia, you wish is my command -

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:50:46 am by Ruckdog »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 10:56:07 am »
MAJOR updates to the Dystopian Wars website went up today!

Significant items include:

-Pre-order link for the 2-player starter set: https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/dystopian-wars/80437-dystopian-wars-hunt-for-the-prometheus-english

-5 pages of general background info on the Dystopian world: https://www.dystopianwars.com/assets/global/PDF/DW-The-Dystopian-Age.pdf

-Faction background documents for each of the major factions. Each document ranges from 8 to 16 pages (!): https://www.dystopianwars.com/media

At long last, it looks like the launch of 3.0 is finally materializing!

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 11:26:52 am »
I got my FLGS to order in a starter set for me. Hope it doesn't take too long to get here

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 11:27:51 am »
Some of that fluff is a bit yikes.  The Ottoman empire rooting out minorities via religious fanatics is not.... great.  The Arabian nights themes used are also just a bit odd, and don't really fit the steampunk vibes, while the decadent dissolute sultan and the evil vizier scheming with organised crime is also just a bit cliche.  The obsession with purity of blood and East Asian can only be ruled by despots is also... not great, while the mystical dream BS also offends my steampunk sensibility.  Its all perfectly cromulent fluff, but the constant refrain of dark forces and mystical nonsense is not my idea of Victorian Sci-fi, and just a bit grimdark.

The other bit that doesn't make much sense is the idea that there is no war.  The Japanese blow up Singapore and everybody just leaves vowing revenge?  The first time the US and the Pan-Asian faction make contact is when the combined might of East Asia invades the Caribbean?  Also the idea that you are sending a battleship on a stealth mission for a shadowy patron rather than the government doesn't make vast amounts of sense.  How do governments keep covering up all these naval armadas going missing?  I think the game should be push for total absurdity based on this, with your mission being to bring back the last Dodo for Queen Victoria's birthday etc.

Zac

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 11:45:14 am »
Its all perfectly cromulent fluff, but the constant refrain of dark forces and mystical nonsense is not my idea of Victorian Sci-fi, and just a bit grimdark

I think this is to make it fit into the background for Wild West Exodus

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2020, 11:54:04 am »
Its all perfectly cromulent fluff, but the constant refrain of dark forces and mystical nonsense is not my idea of Victorian Sci-fi, and just a bit grimdark

I think this is to make it fit into the background for Wild West Exodus

The problem is that what works for the skirmish game WWX, where a gang of ten people fighting for resources is a skirmish, doesn't naturally fit a game with battlefleets of twenty or so warships, where the loss of that fleet is a major event, and would be the commencement of sustained armed conflict.