Author Topic: Clear Bases and Labels  (Read 1852 times)

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
Clear Bases and Labels
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:54 am »
Over the past 25+ years I have always based my ships on mat board/or plastic and then painted the bases, and wakes.  So over the course of all those years I have ended up with many different colored oceans, and bases.  Due to a recent move to Germany my age of sail ships looked like they went through a hurricane and need to be rerigged, and rebased.  I had started a project with my WWI ships and had started to convert them to clear bases, which I like since with the great new ocean mats out there.  I like that the ship always appears to be on that ocean, and not floating on its own colored piece of water.  So to make a long story short, what do people feel like with labels on the bases?  I never have done that, always just wrote on the underside of the base.  But with clear bases that is not an option.  So is there a preference for subdued (ie..Black label with ship names) or go with a flag and the ships name?  Or no label at all.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Clear Bases and Labels
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:34:54 pm »
You don’t specify the scale of your collection(s), but the WWI and WWII stuff is 1:2400 I’m guessing. At that scale, I think having a label of some kind on the base will be important, especially for smaller ships like DDs. I’m partial to labels with flags on them, but simple black and white lettering works fine  8)

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Bases and Labels
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:20:27 pm »
Yes.  1:2400 for WWII and WWI.  1:1000 for Napoleonic, 1:600 ACW, and 1:1500 for RJ war.