Author Topic: What good are Veydreth?  (Read 1152 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
What good are Veydreth?
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »
Does anyone have solid play experience with Veydreth? I just can't noodle out what their niche or strength is...
Most of the primary Allies compliment their core race ally in key ways: RSN provides the Torp strength that Dinz lack; Ba'Kash can rush forward to engage while Relthoza lines hang back;Terquai likewise specialize in stand-off shooting, while Aquans engage closer.
But the Veydreth just seem like crappier versions of already existing Sorylian ships, the only difference being Mines. But Mines have shown to be only lightly effective at best in any games I've played.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:31:54 pm by dalekunz »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: What good are Veydreth?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:32:39 pm »
I haven't seen the Veydreth on the table but I read some horror stories on the Spartan Forums of Veydreth players in competitive play taking down battleships and whole squadrons of tier 3s with the sheer number and combined strength of their mines.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:36:26 pm »
Maybe Mines are the key...

-- 5x Reaver Squadron can lay a 15-die mine

-- Gunship and Assault cruiser squadron can drop a 12-die mine. And the Gunships can do it out of Ambush.

-- Predator can drop a 10-die mine while moving 9" for a Tier 1

It's weird to me though that they don't have any SRS...
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »
RageofAeons, one of the beta testers, wrote up a pretty good tactical overview of the Veydreth on the Spartan forum. Here's an excerpt from the end of his post:

"As a fleet, the Veydreth aren't going to last in a protracted firefight. They will often lose a fair fight. With this in mind, don't fight fair. Ambush a squad or two. Mine everything that isn't you. Board aggressively. And when the shooting keeps raging on, keep in mind most of your ships are possessed of open arcs, so in most cases, if you're not engaging in two arcs whenever you fire, you're doing it wrong."

His whole write-up can be found here:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/4939-official-kurak-alliance-thread-veydreth/page-5

Fifth post down on that page.

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:16:17 pm »
I've read that post also. And it sounds like a pretty solid plan. I really think mines are the key with them. If you aren't dropping mines each turn you aren't taking advantage of your ships with the Veydreth.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:28:05 pm by Quickdraw »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:25 am »
I've read that post also. And it sounds pretty like a pretty solid plan. I really think mikes are the key with them. If you aren't dropping mines each turn you aren't taking advantage of your ships with the Veydreth.

The RSN don't employ mines, so I don't have any experience with them, but I would think you would HAVE to use them in conjunction with the Ambush MAR--simply to get them in range of the enemy, since they aren't projectile weapons.

Yeah, that guy did a pretty solid job in that write-up, and I think he's written similar posts for other fleets, but I've never been able to find them.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama