Author Topic: Relthoza tactica  (Read 1391 times)

Polaris

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Relthoza tactica
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:34:28 am »
So, with the downfall of Spartan, I went on an eBay spree, and got myself a full relthoza fleet, I like the models and the playstyle intrigues me, but I haven't played a full game with them yet, any advice?

If you play them, what works well? Traps or ships to avoid, any must haves?

If you play against them, what scares you :)

Polaris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Relthoza tactica
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »
So I have now played 2 games with the relthoza, and both have actually gone very well, a couple of thoughts

1 using the FSD calculators tac, to jump your battle station to your admiral, is mean, but incredibly effective, the first few turns it lobs 2 shots of 10ad torpedoes, and getting shunted into the enemy fleet, is a great way to ruin there day :)

2. The light cruisers look underwhelming, and by fire power they are, but they are surprisingly durable, and mobile even for tier 3  They make great objective snatchers, and distractions

3. The gunships are great, having fore fixed is not a big problem, you just need to line up the three ships relative to the target (facing doesn't matter) and shunt towards or away from them, and having effective firepower in a 30inch range, makes it pretty easy

4. Your destroyers are great, they can be placed on objectives turn 1, deploying in the reserves for turn 2, and they have the durability to tango with the enemy fleet, usually long enough to get the prize, and get out, and always upgrade with the shunt matrix, as I checked the rules, and there is a fun trick you can use.    By the rules you cannot pull off of full stop, in the same turn you enter it, but you can enter full stop, the same turn you leave it.  Shunt matrix can only be used when not in full stop, but having the manoeverable Mar, means they can turn 90 degrees while at full stop. As you deploy in full stop the turn you reaveal your destroyers, but there is no limit to the number of secondary move actions you can take, you can pull off of full stop, shunt, enter full stop, turn 90 degrees, fire, and next turn repeat. It's a ton of fun, and frustrating for the enemy :)

5. The Apex is the best ship...ever...if you can, take it :)

6. Don't drop cloaks until you are in a safe position, with great opportunity , like the aft arcs of there fleet

7. Play mind games, and use shunting ships to fake out your opponent, pick off outliers, without cloaks your fragile, and will rarely win a fair fight, stack the odds I. Your favor, but Don't let them see it coming, you have a tac, and shunting just for this :)

8. There is a hubsystems podcast, episode 25, where they talk about relthoza tactics, and ship by ship analysis if you want some great insight :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:02:35 pm by Polaris »

Brimat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:36:26 am »
The combination of Cloaking, Stealth and System Network MAR makes them really durable in the first 2 turns, getting in range for some infighting.

And our local Relthoza players now always trys to get the Light Frigates in his list, they have superior torpedo power on long ranges, 14AD on more than 36".

And the dread is a beast, yes. I am always pondering, wether i attack it or if i leave it and concentrate on the rest of the fleet (and going for the mission).

Polaris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
How do the light frigates fair in your opinion? I have some, but haven't fielded them yet, they just seemed a bit pricey for the Benifits they offer (at least when compared to a nidus)

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:13:59 am »
While I’m not sure if your Destroyers are maneuvering within the spirit of the rules, I can’t see anything wrong with your logic.  However, I also fail to understand the advantage of doing so... I suppose it gives you more options on where to shunt to and still line up the forward-fixed Weapons, which makes Vulnerable Arc shots easier to pull off.