Author Topic: Syndicate are coming  (Read 1456 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Syndicate are coming
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:48 am »
Pics were on Spartan's FB this morning.

Looks like the 2yr old Marauder list for them will hold as well. Only 2 ships for Gunship squadrons, only 1 Battlecruiser per Squadron, and only 3 Frigates per.

I'm in a spot I used to have with Sisters of Battle in 40K - love the models, kinda dislike the list.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Syndicate are coming
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:34 pm »
Those are some good-looking ships. Really cool.

"Gangsters....in spaaaaaaaaaace....."
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:39:40 am »
It helps to understand their strengths:

Battlecruiser:  There's only one, because this is really a Carrier with guns.  Take +4 Wings and 2 Frigates, and you have:

6-Wing Token
Max 17AD +11AD, or 2x 11AD + 10AD

A 6/9 DR/CR + 1 Shield is decent survivability, which is good, because you'll probably keep this on the table until it dies.

Gunships:  2 Gunships is actually normal for a Squadron Size, so it's a common downside to them.  At 30", you can put out 13 AD, or 2x 8 AD, which is really strong at that range.  Or if you buy Decimator Beams, you can threaten to Crit any Tier 2 Squadron with 9AD at 30".  If you synergize this with a Battleship or Battlecruiser getting in close with Counter-measures, you can potentially threaten to Disorder a squadron every turn, which makes them easy targets for boarding (especially if you brought Assault Craft for your Battlecruiser).

Countermeasures is mostly a defensive MAR, as you'll generally only use it to keep a squadron Disordered, but sometimes you can line everything up and either use Gunships or the Maurauder TAC Inducement to force a Disorder Check on something within the Countermeasures bubble.  Disordering a Squadron before it activates can be subtly devestating.

All theory for me so far, of course.  I haven't played them yet, but I will be building a Mercenary Fleet with Syndicate, Omnidyne, Traders, and Corsairs.  The Syndicate Patrol box will likely form my Core Fleet, because Spartan was very smart and made it easy to buy boxes to upgrade to a Battle Fleet Core by simply buying the Battleship box.  That's about 500 and 800 to fill out Core choices, which leaves room for other Mercenaries.  Omnidyne is good; ARTs strip crew and cause more Disorder, Traders run swarms and are surprisingly good for abusing something Disordred, and Corsairs are good for Mines and Assaulting.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:36:33 am »
They've really done well with these models. It's good to see they kept the same style. Those are such unique looking ships within the Firestorm universe.
The list definitely seems to be doable.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:27:06 am »
It helps to understand their strengths:

All awesome advice, Ryjak - thanks!
I hadn't got much further than, "Hey, cool ships" and "Cool...Beams...what do those do?" (Since I never seem to choose a beam fleet).
I do wish their turrets had beams though, to get Decimator on the larger die pools. I shudder to try a Decimator strategy, simply because every time I hope for an opponent to fail a command check, they seem to make it... ;-)

I don't normally do combined fleets, but I see a nice synergy with Omnidyne there, and I plan to do them eventually when they get new models.
In fact, my big conundrum has been between focusing on Syndicate, Omnidyne, or Xelocians. On stats, I might've gone Xelocian. On fluff, I'd lean Omnidyne. But on models alone, has to be Syndicate since I'm genetically incapable of resisting Art Deco.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:21 pm »
Sounds like you should get all three Patrol boxes to me.

Decimator isn't a reliable strategy with these AD Numbers, but it's an added bonus when it happens.