Author Topic: Cyclone Of Shadows - Initial Impressions  (Read 1094 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Cyclone Of Shadows - Initial Impressions
« on: June 25, 2023, 12:35:52 pm »
Finally got my hands on the Cyclone Of Shadows box!

I'm hoping to get an unboxing video posted shortly, but my initial impressions are really positive. I'm very happy with it overall. One thing I was a bit surprised by is the fact that there isn't necessarily a playable campaign right out of the box; the bulk of the book is given over to the background story of a campaign fought in the setting, but unlike the old Spartan campaign books there is not a set of missions that allow gamers to "play along" with the major events of the story to re-create "history." So, minor disappointment there, but the additional rules, scenarios, and terrain in the box easily justify the purchase.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclone Of Shadows - Initial Impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 03:15:46 pm »
That seems to be a pattern with Warcradle's approach to DW.  Some extremely well-thought-out sets of miniatures, with a highly open-ended rule book and game support. It falls somewhere between the Spartan approach and the current GW "Spoon-feeding" tactic; I know there's a bit of frustration among players about some of that, especially the "living ORBATS" that are updated every few weeks, as it feels a little unfinished and chaotic. Mind you a few players love 3.0 for precisely that reason, so different strokes, as they say.

Then again, I am loving some of the new ships.