Poll

Warcradle has announced they won't be producing rules for Spartan models, and instead you'll be relying on count as and proxy.  What does this make you want to do?

Just Proxy and make do
1 (7.7%)
Buy a new Warcradle 3.0 fleet
0 (0%)
Update a legacy list with the community
3 (23.1%)
Stick to previous Spartan ruleset
8 (61.5%)
Wait and see
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Legacy models in 3.0  (Read 3448 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Legacy models in 3.0
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:57 am »
There has been an official announcement from Warcradle today that confirmed they would not be producing rules for Spartan's models.  While there seemed to be some hints earlier that suggested that was a possibility, considering the size and diversity of Spartan's range and the difference in style, scale and load out of Warcradle's range this always seemed a brave concept.  This poll is mostly about gauging where the community is looking to go to think about the priorities going forward, especially for those with large extant fleets.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy models in 3.0
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »

Even with some of the few better ideas in 3.0, I still find the playability of 2.5 is much more to my liking, and the only issue I have is the awful editign alnd layout of the rule book; Which is easily worked around with reference sheets, so there's that.

Sebenko

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:02 am »
Probably not play at all due to the difficulty of getting players for a dead game, put my models in a display case and stare wistfully at them.

Otherwise, play 2.0 if I find anyone to play with.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:48:43 pm »
I suppose I'll proxy, but what it made we *want* to do is
"Sell off all remaining Spartan stuff; and treat anything Warcradle does as a brand new game fighting for my attention"

There's a bit of wait and see in all that - are there clear analogs/matches between old and new, etc. But if the WC position is "Ditch the old models for a our new game"  … that doesn't bring me along AT ALL.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:44:43 pm »
I'm not a big fan of proxying models. But I'm also not enthused with the direction that Warcradle is taking the game either. I understand some of the decisions they're having to make (let's face it, Spartan released an unsustainable number of models for Dystopian Wars--very cool, very unique, but unsustainable), but the game is morphing into something that I'm not really excited about anymore. Plus, the new sculpts aren't working for me--just too different from what we already have.

But that's OK...I've got about 5000 points apiece of FSA and French naval, air, and land models, about 2500 points of Chinese naval and air models, and maybe 2000 points of Australian naval and air models, plus several local opponents here who are happy to play 2.5. So I'm good.  :D
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Semmes58

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
  • "Bring that gun into action , Sir!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 03:41:21 pm »
I see the direction Warcradle is taking the Dystopian Wars game system and honestly really dislike the additional complexity , special extras etc. I will most likely play the old 2.5 version with friends until i can find a customer for my existing   KOB, French, FSA, Australians  and Aliens (my Favorite for Con Demo games). Any takers?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:48:16 pm »
I see the direction Warcradle is taking the Dystopian Wars game system and honestly really dislike the additional complexity , special extras etc. I will most likely play the old 2.5 version with friends until i can find a customer for my existing   KOB, French, FSA, Australians  and Aliens (my Favorite for Con Demo games). Any takers?

I'd be interested in KOB and Australians :)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:11 am »
I haven’t been interested in anything Warcradle has done with the Dystopian line from the beginning. Not that it matters at all as they are the rightful owners of the IP and can do whatever they please, but I feel they’ve really handled the whole situation poorly.
2.5 is actually a pretty decent ruleset and there is VERY little incentive to move on from it.

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:56:49 pm »
While I voted for the "update" choice I will prefer to play a better edited 2.5. If Warcradle decides to "not support" legacy models in any meaningful way, I may play 3.0, but I won't buy any of the new models. Natural consequences. If they do support the legacy models I would buy the new sets- because that's an honorable trade. Either way I will be looking for 2.5 games

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 12:02:36 am »
Meanwhile I will setting up some DW 2.5 games at GEN CON. Likely a demo and 1-2 competitive games. I did this in 2015. We'll see if it works. I will be looking to play 3.0 while I am there. (Along with some X-Wing).
If anyone is going to GEN Con this year and wants to play some DW2.5, friendly or official, let me know. If I have some players ahead of time it will help with getting it on the schedule and when to schedule it.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 01:54:09 am »
While I voted for the "update" choice I will prefer to play a better edited 2.5. If Warcradle decides to "not support" legacy models in any meaningful way, I may play 3.0, but I won't buy any of the new models. Natural consequences. If they do support the legacy models I would buy the new sets- because that's an honorable trade. Either way I will be looking for 2.5 games

That's pretty much the feeling around here - So far the only factions that we've seen art for that look anythign like compatible visually are the Russians, some "Crown" and the Covenant ( Thopuigh that whale launcher still irks me.
 And yes, a better edited 2.65 would be great, and there are people working on that.

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 04:06:56 am »
When Spartan Games went belly up I bought quite a few boxes for various fleets (all in all one rather large shipping box still awaiting assembly and painting). Having a new and actively supported ruleset has a lot of appeal, but if that will exclude all of the older models, then count me out, 2.5 or even 2.0 is still a very solid ruleset to play with casually.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:26 am »
Listening to the MBS podcast has made me think about this.  I don't like forcing a gap between editions full stop and we all already talked about how the divide in fluff and design may make sense for Warcradle in an acquisition sense of taking ownership and looking at marketing to new markets, it doesn't make sense for existing gamers who want continuity of experience and don't want their game to feel a dead game.  Its no fault of WC for buying the game and their decision to split the streams isn't irrational, its just to me slightly distasteful in a way that it doesn't bring existing fans with them. 

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 06:47:43 pm »
Well that sucks...guess it’s playing the old rules and proxy. Not that I’ve played in a few years.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »
Is there a link to where Warcradle announced that they won’t be supporting the old minis? Thanks.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"