Author Topic: Official Spartan "year ahead"  (Read 2160 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Official Spartan "year ahead"
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:20:37 pm »
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/the-dystopian-year-ahead

A blog post has been put up regarding the year ahead for Dystopian Wars. It's good to finally have a schedule for how they will be updating the ORBATS.
One big notable change is that they are going to update their packaging, hopefully we can get some appropriate squadron sized blisters/boxes back. I imagine they will go similar to Firestorm where they package squadrons together or in the case of smalls they will do a box with multiple squadrons of different ships.
Most importantly! Free campaigns!!! Enough said...
It also sounds like they will be creating a new system similar to Forestorm Taskforce for DW.
Finally, I'm happy to hear that they will be expanding the Ottoman range.

What does everyone think about this news?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Official Spartan "year ahead"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:31:58 pm »
Free campaign guides will be sweet. I read the blog post but I haven't looked in to the campaign stuff yet, will look when I get home tonight.

Yeah, I got the same impression about a new quick-play version of DW similar to Firestorm Taskforce. My guess is that it will probably be something very similar, light cruisers (or other specialty ships) and some new version of frigates or corvettes. Which could be cool, because right now for small ships all we have are corvettes, frigates, and destroyers--maybe this will generate new small ships. Although I was thinking about this the other day, we already have quite a few ship options already. Most nations/factions already have at least 3 choices for mediums (surface and air), and at least two battleship variants.

Anyway...good to have a way ahead for DW!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »
The DW "collection" is WAY bigger then Firestorm. The French alone have what... 5 cruisers...?
I'm assuming it will follow a similar style as taskforce with a base set of ships that have customizable drop on's. That was the other thing mentioned in the post, add on's to the ships for even more customization.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 11:49:42 pm »
Interesting news! I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for modular designs with the cruisers. The EotBS cruisers in the Shadowhunter box set were the closest Spartan has come to doing something like this in DW.

The DW "collection" is WAY bigger then Firestorm. The French alone have what... 5 cruisers...?
I'm assuming it will follow a similar style as taskforce with a base set of ships that have customizable drop on's. That was the other thing mentioned in the post, add on's to the ships for even more customization.

Well, I would say that the model collection for FSA isn't all that smaller...there are just far fewer stat profiles in FSA because Spartan didn't make different stats for the older models.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »
The first set of the ORBATS has been officially updated. Haven't looked at te changes yet.

Sanguinary Dan

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 03:02:49 pm »
I've preordered the new Quick Play rules and am really looking forward to giving them a try.  Mainly because the biggest issue in getting folks at my FLGS to play has been length of games.  Here's hoping it makes for sub 2 hour games.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »
Length of game is definitely one of the bigger barriers to the game. Let us know how the quick play rules work out.