Author Topic: Stripping paint from 1:3000 Metal models  (Read 1740 times)

stugibsonca

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Stripping paint from 1:3000 Metal models
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »
Hi

I have some Russo-Japanese 1:3000 that I am trying to strip so I can repaint after some research has indicated that my initial choices were a bit off.  Well actually quite a bit off.  I am using a solution of water and vinegar and was wondering how long I would be safe leaving them in the solution.

Stu

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Stripping paint from 1:3000 Metal models
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »
Hey Stu!

I would say that you could probably get away with 24 hours or so; I've used Simple Green to strip minis in the past, and haven't had any troubles with either plastics or metals after leaving them in for that long. If you are worried, just check them every 4-6 hours and see if the paint is softening up at all or not.

stugibsonca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »
Thanks,

I have been checking them regularly and I am quite disappointed with progress.  They have been in the bath for 5 hours now and they are resisting my paint removal efforts quite well.  I had a bad experience with some O8 SM79 aircraft that I stripped the same was last year.  It was an easy way to create a wrecked aircraft.  One missing part of the tail and most of the engine nacelles.

S

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:58 am »
Concentrated Simple Green (found mine in the auto section of Walmart) works well on metal, can take a few days.  I have not yet ventured into plastic or resin with it though. 

Oh, and Easy-Off oven cleaner is good for metal too.

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:51:49 am »
Best results on metal I've found is Pine Sol straight up. Takes about 1-2 hours, old toothbrush and gloves and you have clean models.  Plastic and resin? Not sure, but Simple Green is ok on them.

stugibsonca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:09:38 am »
Thanks Mark

I have given up on a 75% solution of vinegar.  I was hoping that a mild solution would do the trick, but unfortunately it did not.  I left them in the bath overnight and included two British 3mm tanks.  One had started to offgass  and is now tarnished beyond repair

So I changed to a more aggressive approach.  I have used Non-Acetone based nail polish remover.  This is a very aggressive solution and should be monitored constantly.  I timed the process several time and found that paint was coming off after as little as 30 seconds.  I settled on a process something like this.

Polish remover, complete submergence 2 minutes.
Remove the vessel from the and using a soft tooth brush, remove the majority of the paint.   Depending on the primer used and the amount applied it may be necessary to return the ship to the remover for a short period of time while stripping other ships in the bath. 
I found that it was best to place the stripped model in a tub of clear cool water afterwards

Once the batch is completed, place the models in HOT, soapy water to remove any paint residue etc.

Rinse and place on paper towel to dry.

I now have 95 Russian ships including 38 destroyers stripped and ready for my airbrush!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:11:49 am by stugibsonca »

stugibsonca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:13:38 am »
I am going to try pine sol on my Japanese ships,  Fortunately only about 20 of them are painted....

Thanks