Author Topic: Boarding Actions  (Read 1220 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Boarding Actions
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:54:13 pm »
All the podcast discussion on Naval films has me jonesing for a good boarding action game. (Also for Star Wars Armada, but that's a different topic)

What are opinions on the best games for Age of Sail or similar boarding actions? (With or without actual cannon and maneuver beforehand)

I never could find an opponent for WOODEN SHIPS AND IRON MEN. And I have no reviews or opinions to judge between the other names that come up:
-- CLOSE ACTION
-- BLOOD AND PLUNDER
-- TRAFALGAR
and though its a fantasy boardgame, I'm horribly curious if RUM AND BONES is any good.

Opinions?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding Actions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:00:48 am »
I'd love to give Blood and Plunder a try. It looks like great fun.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
Trafalgar is a multi-ship/squadron level game in which boarding is fairly abstract. The focus is primarily movement and gunnery.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
Trafalgar is a multi-ship/squadron level game in which boarding is fairly abstract. The focus is primarily movement and gunnery.

Ah, I'd thought because it came from Warhammer Historicals, it surely had a troop component. Sounds more like a BFG level game.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:05:08 pm »
Trafalgar is a step or two simpler than WS&IM and really works best at 6+ ships per side. We played it almost always at Fleet (12-15+ per side) levels using 1/2400 ships.

There is a company called (IIRC- Captain Games) running a Kickstarter for sailing ships in 15mm. Still movement and shooting but at 15mm, individual figures will be involved.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:57 pm »
I played a few rounds of Rum and Bones at Adepticon 2016. It's a fun little game. I was playing intro games on the core set...there are a few expansions out now that offer new heroes and different configurations. It is strictly boarding, however...no other ship-to-ship combat. The rank-and-file sailor miniatures are OK, but the different heroes are pretty nice sculpts that can be painted up. The whole thing begs to be played out on 3D ships (I think they did that at a different convention). I think you can also choose different heroes for each game, so it isn't always the same loadout.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama