Author Topic: Submersibles  (Read 2758 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Submersibles
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Antimatter Games has posted renders of a submersible for the Fortune Hunters faction in DeepWars:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/deep-wars/submersibles-horizon-antimatter-games/

So. Freakin'. Cool.

If you missed it, Antimatter Games posted concept art for submersibles a few months ago. Here are the subs for the Ancients of Atalan and the Dark Mariners:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/deep-wars/descend-ancients-atalan-submarine/

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/2016/deep-wars-dark-mariner-bio-sub/

The renders for the Fortune Hunters sub follows pretty closely with the concept art, so if this succeeds I'd bet the Atalan and Dark Mariners submersibles will look pretty much like their respective drawings.

This submersible is 200mm long, according to Eric Louchard (creator of DeepWars), which is just shy of 8 inches. Not a huge model to be sure, but still really cool. Apparently (according to what I read on the Abyssal Realms Facebook page) the nose section is going to be clear pieces so you can see the sub's pilot inside. Eric recommends playing on a 36x36" board if you're going to use one of these (apparently their are rules for submersibles in the Blood Reef supplement, but I don't have that handy).

Definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes!!

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Submersibles
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:34:45 am »
Oooooooo....that fortune hunter sub looks awesome! I definitely want one as a display piece if nothing else  8)

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
Oh crap.  I may have to get into this game now.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:40 pm »
One of these days I'll run you through a demo. Gotta get my Ancients of Atalan and/or my Nereids ready first; I only have one faction (Fortune Hunters) painted and ready to play.

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 12:40:52 pm »
Yeah, I'd like a demo.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »
That would have to be HUGE per scale! 8" doesn't seem long enough (and no, that's not what she said ;-) )

I keep hoping Antimatter pursues an LGS friendly, market approach rather than just Kickstarter.
I'm just "okay" with the rules right now, so a nice retailed Box set, cleaned up rulebook, etc would go a long way to helping me into the game.

With Armageddon Shadow War out, Runewars coming, Mantic making a big Warpath push, and 40K headed for Sigmarfication; Deep Wars has more competition than ever in the minis realm. And that's even with being the only skirmish underwater steampunk niche out there.

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »
I don't have the rules in front of me, so I'm not sure how many troops the submersible is supposed to be able to carry (apparently that is its main function). If it's a low number (and I'm guessing it is, since DeepWars is a skirmish-level game), then I can see this being the right size. Maybe a *tad* small, but close enough.

Dakkar, I understand where you're coming from. The only reason, however, that I even know about DeepWars is because I saw the Ancients starter box set at Gamer's Haven a few years ago. I have no idea what their presence is in other stores, but I'd bet they don't have a whole lot of exposure. However, I think the Haven can order just about anything in their catalog, they just don't carry the products anymore (likely because there aren't very many players in the area).

But I think Antimatter Games is a pretty small company, so I don't see them really competing with GW, Privateer Press, CMON, etc for a slice of the 28mm market. As you said, they're in a niche.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:01:38 pm »
I imagine for a skirmish game of that scale 3 or 4 miniatures riding in a submersible seems just about right. So 8" would be appropriate. I'm excited About that bio-sub for the mariners. May push me into collecting them. I've been really eyeing them for awhile.