Author Topic: Pair of Islands  (Read 1301 times)

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Pair of Islands
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:44:33 am »
Very neat! I love the use of CDs as a base for the terrain; very good use of found materials. If you ever get the time, it would be great to see a DIY thread in the Q&A forum ;).

Started my next two islands of the 'CD archipelago'.  There's not much to them.  I usually plug the hole with scrap plastic or card.  Then I form the island from DAS. though I have used plaster before as well.  THis time I'm trying something different in that I'm not covering all the way to the edge  and using the cd itself as the water's edge. 
Here they are waiting for the DAS to dry.

Geoff

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Pair of Islands
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »
I tried this with some ordinary spackle I picked up at the hardware store and it worked out well; I glued a plastic bottle cap over the hole in the center of the CD to give some height to the peak of the island center and then just built up the spackle around it, shaping it with a knife and then filing parts after it dried.  I also tried a trick where I "picked" at the wet spackle with the tip of a screw which provided a sort of rippled effect like rapidly splashing water--I was thinking of using it as water "energy vortex" in my next game of Dystopian Wars.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Pair of Islands
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »
Looks pretty easy! I might have to try this myself.