Author Topic: Black models  (Read 1375 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Black models
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:57:00 am »
For a number of reasons I'm getting relthoza patrol fleet instead of my intended terran or dindrenzi.  I've seen some really cool schemes that are predominantly black, but I'm a bit worried about loosing depth and detail.  Do you still use a wash and dry-brush, and if so do I have to use a coloured wash rather than sticking with something like nuln oil?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Black models
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:43:03 pm »
I've seen black minis (Space Marines actually) done well by doing very specific edge-highlights using greys.

But the Relthoza models are SO detailed that I think you have to start with the drybrush method - base in black, drybrush on extensively with a pure white (or blue-grey, depending on goal effect).

For wash, something like Nuln Oil can often seem brownish, so choose carefully and test results on small areas or models first.
I usually prefer to pick a contrast shade, like green or red, and ink-wash in that over the white. This can look flat though, so be careful.
Then go in and pick out details like windows and gunports.

If you want it to look really black though, ala Stealth camo, you'll want a darker drybrush color like a grey, and then a true black wash. Maybe a gloss. Your only friend for causing depth might be natural light reflections to indicate depth, such as a gloss offers.
If you're really patient, picking out recessed details and highlights in darker shades can give that depth help as well.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »
Thanks, I'm not sure I have the patients yet to pick out all the details so a gloss will probably be the go for now. 
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:36 am »
Also, you have me wanting to go over my Relthoza Purple now with black.  ;)

"Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch..."

"I see a Dreadnought, and I want to paint it black..."
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:35:21 am »
 ;D

"I see aquans go by dressed in their summer clothes..."
Tacitus